SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-09, 11:45 AM   #1
Guy

Default Which chain/sprocket and replacement bolts

Hi guys, looking at getting a new chain and sprocket set for my 02 curvey SV650s, as I think my chain is on the way out and figured its best to replace the lot.

After reading up on a few different threads I am still not sure which set to go for. Whether its the B+C kits or a DID one from DK on ebay. Can you offer some advise on which to go for or any new options? One think that I do know what I'll be getting is a Scottoiler kit, if that changes anything.

Also I think I'm going to have to replace some nut's'n'bolts on my bike, winter riding with not enough ACF-50 . Now I know the part number for them, but don't want to pay over the odds for a standard bolt from Suzuki, would like to get some decent ones that don't rust that easily.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I think thats everything, sorry for the long post, just want to get everything right this time .

Cheers!!!
Old 07-08-09, 01:24 PM   #2
Guy

Default Re: Which chain/sprocket and replacement bolts

Ok just seen Chewie's site, might get the bolt kit.
Old 07-08-09, 01:27 PM   #3
stuballs

DID kit from DK spares is good kit and cheaper than anywhere else. B and C is more expensive but you have more choices in terms of sprockets sizes.

Stainless sprocket nuts are good but very expensive.

What chain riveting tool do you have?
Old 07-08-09, 01:38 PM   #4
Guy

I don't have one, I was planning on taking it to a garage or someone who can do it for me.

Would you say that it's worth getting the more expensive kit as it'll last longer or will getting a Scottoiler level the playing field a bit?
Old 07-08-09, 01:43 PM   #5
stuballs

If you'll have a scottoiler I'd say it doesn't really matter. The point of X-Ring chains is that they are supposed to hold the lube better and cause less friction.

Probably best to get a shop to do it for you if you can afford the pennies. The front sprocket can be a nightmare to get off. If you decide to do it yourself, get a whale tool.
Old 07-08-09, 01:58 PM   #6
Guy

I thought that but wasn't too sure. Will have to see how much for a new chain/sprocket and Scottoiler install will cost.

I did see something about the whale tool. I think when I get a winter hack or something, I'll start to get to know the ins and outs of the bike. Will probably start to buy stuff like that, saves the pennys overall I suppose.
Old 07-08-09, 02:12 PM   #7
ejohnh

I'm in the process of replacing my chain and sprockets. Got the whole kit from DK for £79.99.

I've got the sprockets off now. I used an impact wrnch and a proper 32mm impact socket. Front sprocket came off in less than 10secs. I borrowed a chain break/riveting kit from a block in the WRC. Ground the old rivet head off and the tool whipped the rivet out easy.

Gotta go back out in a mo to clear out all the gunge before fitting new stuff.

One thing though: the original suzuki front sprocket has rubber shoulders for some reason, but the new one has not. Any clues why?

Cheers,

John
Old 07-08-09, 02:15 PM   #8
Guy

I had the same thing with my Honda CG125, was told it just stops the vibrations...don't know how true that is though.
Old 07-08-09, 02:21 PM   #9
stuballs

Where abouts are you? If you're local to me I can give you a hand.
Old 07-08-09, 03:36 PM   #10
ejohnh

Chain on and rivetted. Looks ok. Bloody knackering bendind down. Could do with a lift next time. Just taking a break before putting the rear wheel back on and torqueing up. Looking forward to a ride tomo.