SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-11-06, 08:49 PM   #1
Razor

Default Desktop versus laptop

I'm thinking about getting rid of the desktop, my house is small and the desk and paraphenalia takes up too much space. My desktop PC is a pretty basic model, so I should be able to get a faster laptop. I was thinking about getting an external hard drive to archive all my files.

Any advice?
Old 19-11-06, 08:51 PM   #2
Warren

depends what you use your computer for to be honest, if its just for the internet and veiwing photo's, then yeah.

if its for watching movies, downloading, video editing, then no.
Old 19-11-06, 08:58 PM   #3
Grinch

Default Re: Desktop versus laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I'm thinking about getting rid of the desktop, my house is small and the desk and paraphenalia takes up too much space. My desktop PC is a pretty basic model, so I should be able to get a faster laptop. I was thinking about getting an external hard drive to archive all my files.

Any advice?
Sounds like you have it covered to me... none of this should be a problem now a-days.
Old 19-11-06, 09:11 PM   #4
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
if its for watching movies, downloading, video editing, then no.
Not sure why it should make any difference for downloading or editing. I have a couple of laptops and a PC and while the Dell laptop would struggle with high demand apps the Vaio would match up to most everyday PC benchmarks. I guess if you're after cuttiing edge performance then fair enough go with a PC.

Download speeds should be irrelevant, it's rare that the hardware at your end is the limiting factor in download speeds and I've got to say after watching a few movies on the Vaio's hi-res X black screen I don't miss my PC at all (might change my mind if I get that 30' Dell TFT though )
Old 19-11-06, 09:14 PM   #5
Razor

I only use it for email, surfing, music and photos. I was thinking of getting a bullet cam and camcorder for recording bike rides, but only for uploading to youtube and similar sites.
Old 19-11-06, 09:14 PM   #6
Devil Biccy

PC if its for games definatley Graphics cards are much better and faster for PC also it is much easier to upgrade Hard drives, memory, soundcards etc.. on a home PC then Laptop.

Freedom of the laptop means you can take it with you where ever you go, Home PC's just havent got that portability!

External hard drive see that PC world are doing some for about £50
Old 19-11-06, 09:19 PM   #7
Razor

I never play games, well, not on the computer anyway.
Old 19-11-06, 09:37 PM   #8
Grinch

Novatech do cheap external drives.
Old 19-11-06, 09:41 PM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I went down that road almost a year ago, I dont miss the big PC at all. I have a 250Gb plug in drive for archiving all the movies and music, and I keep my personal stuff on a dongle.
The only time I have to be in a particular place is for printing, when its easier to take the laptop to the printer.
I've always preferred to play games on a console anyway, its a level playing field, you have to join the pc hardware arms race if you want to play pc games.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-06, 09:48 PM   #10
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
I keep my personal stuff on a dongle.

Fnaar Fnaar