SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-08, 10:09 PM   #1
Gazza77

Default Triumph Sprint ST - a week in...

Well I've the ST a week now, and over this weekend have had the opportunity to stick about 400 miles on it, part solo riding, part two up.

First noticable thing is the bikes additional weight. It's not that noticable at speed, but is when slow speed manouvering, especially two up. I'm sure I will get used to this however, espcially as I am a bit rusty at the moment having not been out much over the last 3 or 4 months. It is also more difficult to move around, such as when pushing it up a slight incline into my bikesafe. It doesn't like to be hustled like the SV, and does not as quick to turn in. It is however far more stable when hitting bumps or potholes when cornering and soaks them up far better. It certainly seems to suit nice sweeping bends of an A road, rather than tight twisty B roads.

The lack of engine braking compared to the SV is noticable, especially when going down steep hills. It doesn't however need to be blipped when changing down through the gears, as it doesn't lock up the rear end when downshifting quickly. The engine itself is an absolute peach, it pulls from low down and delivers its power in a very smooth fashion. It is deceptively quick, windblast is minimal at speed, even with the standard screen and this is coming from a 6ft tall rider. It also has a fantastic induction growl, and also sounds pretty throaty, even on the standard can. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll bother changing it; I think I got my volume thing out of my system with the SV!

Two up riding, the difference from the SV is huge. I used to feel I was fighting the SV at times with my gf on the back, and at 9 1/2 stone, she isn't exactly huge. It also used to struggle suspension wise, bouncing around over poorly surfaced roads and was a big change from solo riding. With the ST you barely notice that you have someone with you; it is only at low speed that the additional weight is noticable. It is also very comfortable; after around 5 hours on it yesterday afternoon the only thing that was causing any discomfort for either of us was the temperature; it was getting cold as the sun set.

Other bits - the mirrors vibrate a lot, which is a common complaint. I don't however find this that much of a problem, as you can still see with them. They are also far more effective in terms of field of vision than the SV, and that had extenders fitted. The trip computer is interesting in terms of being able to see how long you have been moving for and average speed, mpg etc but is hardly essential. The recording of the trips top speed I also think might not be such a good idea.....

All in all, I'm very happy with it so far. I wanted a bike that I could go out and have a blast around on for a couple of hours, but that would also do long weekends away two up in comfort. Early indications are that it will do both in its stride.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 09:55 AM   #2
Brettus

Default Re: Triumph Sprint ST - a week in...

Interesting stuff, I'd love to move up to an ST someday so will be interesting to see how you get on with it over time, as you say its a little culture shock when you first change but it settles down, sounds an excellent bike though, I sat on one at the NEC last year and it just felt so right, so comfortable and just the right riding position, might try and test ride one this summer for fun, can't really justify/afford one for a couple of years though.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:11 AM   #3
wyrdness

I'm surprised by your comment about the engine braking. I've got a Speed Triple, which has the same 1050 engine as the ST and the engine braking is phenomenal. I don't remember my SV having as much engine braking, but it's quite a while since I've ridden one. The Triumph has approximately the same size cylinders as the SV, it just has one more of them, so I'd expect more engine braking from the 1050.

Hope that you enjoy your new toy.
Old 11-02-08, 11:18 AM   #4
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
I'm surprised by your comment about the engine braking. I've got a Speed Triple, which has the same 1050 engine as the ST and the engine braking is phenomenal. I don't remember my SV having as much engine braking, but it's quite a while since I've ridden one. The Triumph has approximately the same size cylinders as the SV, it just has one more of them, so I'd expect more engine braking from the 1050.

Hope that you enjoy your new toy.
I daresay that in part it is affected by the weight, particularly downhill. Also, the gearing seems to be longer, especially in first where the difference in engine breaking is most noticable between the two.

I know the S3 & ST have the same engine, but are they in the same state of tune?

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 11-02-08, 04:46 PM   #5
Dicky Ticker

After 3yrs with an old 955ST,all I will say is let it grow on you and gain confidence in the bike.
Old 11-02-08, 05:42 PM   #6
600+

I test rode an ST before I got the FZ1s. Was greatly disappointed with the brakes. How do you find yours?
Old 11-02-08, 06:08 PM   #7
catdog

The Speed Triple has different internals and gearing, doesn't it? I seem to remember it's got more power, and geared for better acceleration through the lower gears. My Sprint definitely has a lot less engine braking effect than my SV.

Last edited by catdog; 11-02-08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-02-08, 07:44 PM   #8
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
The Speed Triple has different internals and gearing, doesn't it? I seem to remember it's got more power, and geared for better acceleration through the lower gears. My Sprint definitely has a lot less engine braking effect than my SV.
Thought that was the case, though I don't think there is much in the S3 & ST power or torque wise. Catdog, how do you find the aero screen on yours? Is it worth it over the standard one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
I test rode an ST before I got the FZ1s. Was greatly disappointed with the brakes. How do you find yours?
They seem fine to me. I haven't got anything other than the SV to compare them to, but I'm happy enough with them.

Now Benelli Tornado
Old 11-02-08, 08:28 PM   #9
catdog

The aero screen was definitely worth it for me. I found I was getting hit right in the throat by wind blast with the standard screen, even though I'm only 5'10"! I still get some around my head with the new one, but I can duck under it ok at motorway speeds.
Old 11-02-08, 08:37 PM   #10
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
They seem fine to me. I haven't got anything other than the SV to compare them to, but I'm happy enough with them.
fair dos - I had a go on the fz1s before I took the sprint for a test ride and maybe that's why I found them "not good enough" or maybe it was just the crappy bike the stealers gave to me for a test ride