SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-07, 10:32 AM   #1
Gazza77

Default Triumph Sprint ST

Beginning to think it's time for a change, and having had a look round I quite fancy a test ride on a Sprint ST and a S3. Plenty of comments on here about the S3, but has anyone ridden/own an ST? Any thoughts good or bad?

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 10:43 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Triumph Sprint ST

Rode my gramps, really comfortable(rider or pillion), smooth delivery. All in all a nice little ride i had on it. Couldnt go too far cos it's his pride and joy.
Old 12-06-07, 11:36 AM   #3
Jdubya

Essex of essex and Dicky Ticker in the essex lounge both ride ST's...might be worth sending them a pm or posting the question in the lounge as well for their opinions. I ride a daytona 955i and it is a stonking machine
Old 12-06-07, 04:07 PM   #4
Essex of Essex

I had a 995 and now run a 1050, both smooth and powerful the 1050 is a little thirstier and I find it to be the more comfortable of the 2, I've ridden both from Braintree to Edinburgh in a day so the 955 is not uncomfortable. The machine is advertised as a sports tourer the 1050 leans towards the sport side slightly more than the 955, but I think Dicky Ticker described them perfectly when he said they are long legged bikes.

Triumph dealers are pretty good at providing demonstrators and letting you out for a meaningful ride on them so go give one a go.
Old 12-06-07, 04:40 PM   #5
wyrdness

Test ride both and see what you prefer. If you do distance riding then the Sprint would probably be best, otherwise the Speed Triple is a great bike. Or if you want something in-between, take a look at the new Tigger.
Old 12-06-07, 05:10 PM   #6
Tzindo

Hello,

I have a 955i Speed Triple and although not an ST or a new 1050 I do not find it uncomfortable. It’s a little slow compared to the latest sports bikes but makes a great sound and is just right for bumbling along fast A and B roads. The suspension is a little primitive (in my opinion) compared to a well set up sports bike but I like it if you forgive its foibles.

Ok probably no real help there.

11000 miles and owned from new 4 years old. I am 6 foot and around 11 Stone to give you an idea of my dimensions.

Just as they say take your intended for a spin and see what you think. I for one regretted trading my SV650S 1999 model in for one as looking back on it that was a great bike, but bought a K2 and now have both.

Let us know when you’ve been for that ride.
Old 13-06-07, 12:24 PM   #7
BigB

i've had a go on my mates 995, very smooth ride, was a bit scared of it though because it was the biggest bike i have ever ridden! but its comfy, smooth and i found it easy to ride.
Old 13-06-07, 12:56 PM   #8
Jelster

I tried the 1050 ST twice and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't get on with it.

(prepares to get shot down in flames)....

1) I found the suspension soft and it felt like it "wallowed" into corners.

2) The mirrors vibrated so much I couldn't see a thing

3) I hated the clocks, a great big rev counter, with a speedo that I could hardly read.

4) The pillion seat is very high (more than my FireBlade) so my Mrs would hate it (........... Maybe that's not a bad thing ) It is a great looking bike and the build quality is so much better than it used to be.

BUT it sounded ace with the after market Triumph end can, it was very comfortable, and it went very well. Everything else was fine, but although it has the legs on a VFR, personally I would run with the Honda.