SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 14-10-08, 08:44 AM   #21
plowsie

Default Re: Border Patrol Evening Meet Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
it is, its a good turn out when lots turn up, last years christmas dinner was a laff.
+1
Old 14-10-08, 09:39 AM   #22
Baph

In my case, I'm a slave to the rota. Back when I made quite a few meets, I wasn't working (and loving the fact I wasn't working). Now I'm back in work, the meets are really dependant on my rota.

Maybe I should quit work again. It always gets in the way of stuff!
Old 14-10-08, 10:01 AM   #23
mister c
Mega Poster

Going to sound as though I'm making excuses, but I was off the road for a few months following my accident, plus not having too much money when my employer halfed my pay meant that I had to be choosy as to where & when I went out. I am still in a rut, but do find the time to get out when I can
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 10:10 AM   #24
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
In my case, I'm a slave to the rota. Back when I made quite a few meets, I wasn't working (and loving the fact I wasn't working). Now I'm back in work, the meets are really dependant on my rota.

Maybe I should quit work again. It always gets in the way of stuff!
Me too, permanent nights, even if it is 4 on 4 off, means I only get the option to make 50% of the meets, throw in a bit of o/time, family comittments, the weather blah blah blah and it means that this year has been a bit of disaster, but the only people who are actually answering this thread are the ones who,ve actually made it to some of the meets meet, dunno where everyone else is though, I mean there must be more people in our catchment area than Luckypants, speedy claire, baph, slark, kwak zzr,mototech, shelleywoozle, mister C, MR UKI and me, isnt there ?

Last edited by stewie; 14-10-08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 14-10-08, 10:21 AM   #25
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Yes and no, I think the closest meet for me (and others in/around Liverpool) is the Tap and that's still a 45 min ride.

Throw in having to sort the kids out etc before we leave, makes meets a bit difficult.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 11:16 AM   #26
Luckypants
Mega Poster

yeah but surely part of going to a meet is to ride your bike? The Tap is 45 mins to an hour for me, The Stormy is an hour to hour 15 mins and The Bridge is 20 minutes. The meets move around so that folks have one reasonably close to them at least once a month. The Stormy meet was moved to a Thursday to coincide with the bike night, but attendance did not increase...

The meets were for us to get know each other, not going to happen if folks don't turn up.

One of the things that disappointed me about the turn out is that we had 15+ folks turn up to the Wirral Egg Run and the meal after. All were full of plans to come to the evening meets.

Would folks prefer it if the meet involved a short ride-out?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 11:59 AM   #27
DaveP

Being brand new to all of this i am really up for getting out on some meets. I made it to the tap for a short while on sunday and it was buzzing. I hope to get down there more if i am honest. Should these things start up again i will make every effort to get to some of them. The tap being the only one i know my way to at the minute... but that shouldnt be a problem fir too long.

Dave
Old 14-10-08, 12:08 PM   #28
MR UKI (1)

Weather and work did for me this year (mainly the weather). Not much fun heading out for an hour or so ride there and back after a days work in ****ing rain. Don't think I managed to attend one meet having made a few last year.
Old 14-10-08, 12:10 PM   #29
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
yeah but surely part of going to a meet is to ride your bike? The Tap is 45 mins to an hour for me, The Stormy is an hour to hour 15 mins and The Bridge is 20 minutes. The meets move around so that folks have one reasonably close to them at least once a month. The Stormy meet was moved to a Thursday to coincide with the bike night, but attendance did not increase...

The meets were for us to get know each other, not going to happen if folks don't turn up.

One of the things that disappointed me about the turn out is that we had 15+ folks turn up to the Wirral Egg Run and the meal after. All were full of plans to come to the evening meets.

Would folks prefer it if the meet involved a short ride-out?
Not sure about the rideout bit, for me its a 115 miles round trip from warrington to the bridge and about 75 miles round trip to the tap, havent managed the stormey yet but it must be roughly the same as the bridge, so from my point of view I dunno if I fancy adding a short rideout on top, however thats just me.
Old 14-10-08, 01:43 PM   #30
glsuk1970

I'm pretty ashamed of my Evening Meet attendance this year, although I did manage to double the amount I attended in 2007 so it's not all bad - that'll be two, the second one being at The Tap when no other bugger turned up so technically that's not really an org meet, is it?

On the plus side I did manage two ride-outs this year both of which definitely count, Im sure.

My excuses... err, I mean reasons are the same as everyone elses - kids, work, weather, storyline on Corrie etc. Basically, half a dozen other things that take priority before I've got enough spare time to go out and play.

Has a regular weekend meet been suggested before? Maybe it could be tied up with a short ride-out as per Luckypants' suggestion? I can only speak for myself but I certainly have more free time at the weekends than I do during the week. I know a lot of Border Patrolers work shifts so it's clearly not the same for everyone, though.