SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-06, 08:55 AM   #21
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Like the original VW Beetle was designed for Hitler by Porsche to be the "peoples car".....
More VW facts. The chap who designed the Beetle was Dr Ferdinand Porsche, it was his son that started the Porsche (as we know it today) company.

Also, imediately after the war, it was the British Army that organised putting the Beetle back into production.
Old 01-03-06, 09:12 AM   #22
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Like the original VW Beetle was designed for Hitler by Porsche to be the "peoples car".....
More VW facts. The chap who designed the Beetle was Dr Ferdinand Porsche, it was his son that started the Porsche (as we know it today) company.

Also, imediately after the war, it was the British Army that organised putting the Beetle back into production.
I didnt think that extra bit was needed. Still cool to know
Old 01-03-06, 10:20 AM   #23
K

Jon Pertwee served as an officer aboard HMS Hood, adn was lucky enough to be on shore leave when she was sunk by the Bismark with only three survivors.

Denholm Elliot served with the RAF and was sot down during a bommbing mssion over Denmark. He saw out the last three years of the war in a POW camp in Silesia.

Murray Walker drove a tank during WWII.

Christopher Lee served as a Flight Lieutenant, as well as with Intelligence and Special Forces in the Western Desert, Malta, Sicily, Italy and Central Europe.
Old 01-03-06, 10:22 AM   #24
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Concorde had a system of baffles on its engines to slow down the air entering the engine to sub sonic speed as the engine wouldnt run properly otherwise

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 10:27 AM   #25
GC-SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Concorde had a system of baffles on its engines to slow down the air entering the engine to sub sonic speed as the engine wouldnt run properly otherwise

DID.

Such a shame they removed such a great aircrsft.
Old 01-03-06, 10:35 AM   #26
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Jon Pertwee served as an officer aboard HMS Hood, adn was lucky enough to be on shore leave when she was sunk by the Bismark with only three survivors.

Denholm Elliot served with the RAF and was sot down during a bommbing mssion over Denmark. He saw out the last three years of the war in a POW camp in Silesia.

Murray Walker drove a tank during WWII.

Christopher Lee served as a Flight Lieutenant, as well as with Intelligence and Special Forces in the Western Desert, Malta, Sicily, Italy and Central Europe.
Actor Richard Todd served with 6 Para (I think) and fought at Pegasus Bridge on D-Day.

Interstingly Richard Todd plays Maj John Howard (who commanded the initial glider assult at Pegasus Bridge and heroically held the bridges afterwards) in the film "The Longest Day".

I am unsure who plays Richard Todd in the film
Old 01-03-06, 10:42 AM   #27
JakeRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca

Is the, a penguin falls over when planes pass overhead one true???

saw a clip of it on tv!!! whether it was real who knows!
Old 01-03-06, 10:43 AM   #28
Flamin_Squirrel

Clark Gable flew with the 8th airforce on bombing missions over Germany.

Lucky to survive that one
Old 01-03-06, 10:46 AM   #29
keithd

my fact of the day

i saw a nice motorbike yesterday

that is all. carry on.
Old 01-03-06, 10:49 AM   #30
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Clark Gable flew with the 8th airforce on bombing missions over Germany.

Lucky to survive that one
As did Jimmy Stewart, who reached the rank of Colonel and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Clusters, the French Croix-de-Guerre and the Air Medal. After the war he remained in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, and reached the rank of Brigadier General.