SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-08-18, 09:33 AM   #1511
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All new Reeder Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i will be offending everyone tonight by having bacon and beef burgers. Vegans, Jews, Muslims, Hindus as well as some Buddhist. dont worry it will be semi healthy as i will be having the burgers with baby potatoes and broccoli.

It is pretty impossible these days to do anything without offending someone, it is a minefield out there - remember the song 'Garden Party' by Ricky Nelson with the line - "It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you can't please everyone so you'd better please yourself"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
my offender burger was superb

bloody coop shortbread. they sell a box and a packet. i mistakenly took it that the box and packet were the same shortbread fingers as they both say Scottish and the packets are blue in colour.. wrong. one is the nice BUTTER shortbread the other is rank shortbread without butter. note to self.. if it dont say butter shortbread its rank..
Most low fat / low calorie foods are pretty rank This is an interesting read.....

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...or-eating-fat/

https://www.drperlmutter.com/brain-needs-cholesterol/

Above could explain why generally humans are becoming both fatter and stupider - diabetes and alzheimers both on the rise - the low fat diet started in the 1960's with bad advice on how cholesterol causes heart disease.

Wish I could afford to shop at Co-Op. Lidl and Aldi have more British stuff than 'our own' supermarkets, (especially meat and veg) and it is normally about 30 to 50% cheaper. Still prefer Sainsbury's for some things though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-08-18 at 10:20 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 10:18 AM   #1512
Red ones
Mega Poster

Co op meat is British. At least that's what the adverts say.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 10:51 AM   #1513
Bibio
Mega Poster

i dont know what its like down south but up here pretty much all of our meat, poultry and veg is Scottish in the supermarkets and shops so the quality is good.

the old saying that "you are what you eat" is pretty spot on. no food is bad in moderation. having said that there is no rhyme or reason to health problems.

lets take two siblings (my brother and I). i eat pretty healthily compared to a lot of people, for instance i mainly cook fresh and have a varied diet, i dont drink but i do smoke but only about 10 a day (i have given up now). however i have severe artery problems which has led to major surgery. my brother on the other hand is a lazy git who only eats pizza (i shizz you not) and sits in front of a computer all day, but somehow remains a skinny git. he has zero health problems.

then you could look at Mrs Bibs who sits in front of the TV all day and gets zero exercise, used to smoke and eats the exact same food as i have for the past 25+ years. zero heart problems and apart from her disability is pretty healthy.

yes doctors know what the residue is in blocked artery's so this is why they tell you to reduce fatty substances in your diet and not to smoke but they still dont know why it affects some people and not others. its the same with other things such as cancer etc.etc.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 11:03 AM   #1514
Heorot

I have a choice for my weekly shop. I can either drive 10 miles each way to my nearest Aldi at a petrol cost of about £4, or I can do the same shop in the Co-op in my village about 400 meters away. I worked out it was cheaper to drive to Aldi and shop instead of the Co-op. I just use the Co-op for top ups.

I once did a £22 Aldi shop and then looked up the cost of the same items at Tesco. I was shocked to see that the Tesco equivalent would have been over £30.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 29-08-18 at 11:05 AM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 11:12 AM   #1515
Heorot

Bibs, if you want shortbread the next time you are in Edinburgh, go to the Burtons factory in Sighthill. They have a factory shop where you can buy bags full of broken and misshapes of all the product they make there at knockdown prices. 34 Bankhead Pl, Edinburgh EH11 4HN.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 29-08-18, 11:19 AM   #1516
Bibio
Mega Poster

i must admit i dont look at the cost of food. i have no idea how much i spend each week.

i must be saving a fortune not smoking.
Old 29-08-18, 11:25 AM   #1517
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Bibs, if you want shortbread the next time you are in Edinburgh, go to the Burtons factory in Sighthill. They have a factory shop where you can buy bags full of broken and misshapes of all the product they make there at knockdown prices. 34 Bankhead Pl, Edinburgh EH11 4HN.
hahahahaaaaa.. i have known about that for pretty much my entire life

you can get huge bags of broken/odd shape biscuits for a few £. you can also get the posh misshaped like viscounts, wagon wheels etc.etc for not much more. we got sick of them after a while as one of my close cousins worked there so got staff discount e.g. free as most of the staff get fed up with them as well.

Burtons Royal Shortbread is the BEST there is.
Old 29-08-18, 11:31 AM   #1518
Heorot

I discovered Burtons when I lived across the Calder Road in the Sighthill estate in 2001/2. I too ate so much that I got sick of them. I was an IT contractor and went for the cheapest flat I could find before buying my own place. I didn't realise how rough the Wester Hailes area was. I hadn't seen Trainspotting.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 29-08-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 29-08-18, 11:56 AM   #1519
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I discovered Burtons when I lived across the Calder Road in the Sighthill estate in 2001/2. I too ate so much that I got sick of them. I was an IT contractor and went for the cheapest flat I could find before buying my own place. I didn't realise how rough the Wester Hailes area was. I hadn't seen Trainspotting.
hahahaaaaaaaa yes its a rather ermm local friendly place now its full of europeans which TBH is much better.

i grew up in newington across from the queens hall. we used to get all the undesirables from other places like sighthill etc.etc descending into my area at the weekends to go drinking as they were all barred out their own local pubs.. i had interesting teen years
Old 29-08-18, 02:56 PM   #1520
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have a choice for my weekly shop. I can either drive 10 miles each way to my nearest Aldi at a petrol cost of about £4, or I can do the same shop in the Co-op in my village about 400 meters away. I worked out it was cheaper to drive to Aldi and shop instead of the Co-op. I just use the Co-op for top ups.

I once did a £22 Aldi shop and then looked up the cost of the same items at Tesco. I was shocked to see that the Tesco equivalent would have been over £30.
First few times we shopped in Aldi I really thought they had made a mistake with the bill and not put everything on it - on average it is easy to save 30% on a general shop, but can save more on some things. Apparently Aldi pay staff well but they can be stacking shelves one minute and then be asked to go an man (or woman) a checkout, but they cut costs by being efficient. I don't know about others but I don't go grocery shopping for the 'shopping experience' - I go to buy stuff and get back out of the shop as quick as I can.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote