SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-07, 01:46 PM   #1
Mike2165

Default What suspension?

I know this has all probably been done before, so sorry. I'm going to do some work on the bike over the winter, although not completely taking it off the road. One of the things I'm thinking about, is replacing the shock, the bikes done 40k+, so probably not a bad idea. Now do I replace as standard, or do I upgrade in some way? I haven't got a problem with the set up now, just wondering if there's a better option
Old 25-09-07, 01:59 PM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: What suspension?

Good afternoon.
As has been said many times before, go for a Hagon, they perform better than a standard shock, & have a 2 year unlimited mileage guarantee.

Cheers.
Old 25-09-07, 02:29 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Good afternoon.
As has been said many times before, go for a Hagon, they perform better than a standard shock, & have a 2 year unlimited mileage guarantee.

Cheers.
Its not what everyone has said. Thats one option, there are others, or just a cheepo SRAD/KAWK conversion, not the ideal option but saves you lots of money.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07, 02:37 PM   #4
vzzzbuxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
Its not what everyone has said. Thats one option, there are others, or just a cheepo SRAD/KAWK conversion, not the ideal option but saves you lots of money.

KWAK conversion? whats that then. heard the SRAD route and comtemplating it but how easy is it? what KWAK shocks are preferable?

the front end of my curvy is sorted, just the rear to do
Old 25-09-07, 04:16 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

If you were happy with how the bike was/handled before the shock became well used* then just buy a lower mileage standard SV shock, they are worthless so you should get even a low mileage one for pittance!!

*I am happy with the stock rear shock for what I use the bike for (commuting) too, so can see how you were happy.
Old 25-09-07, 06:48 PM   #6
seano

I fitted a zx6 BH1 rear shock which is the same length as standard, it involved a bit of modifying of the battery bay and relocation of the battery to the rear seat but on the whole I'm happy with the results.
Old 25-09-07, 06:53 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano View Post
I fitted a zx6 BH1 rear shock which is the same length as standard, it involved a bit of modifying of the battery bay and relocation of the battery to the rear seat but on the whole I'm happy with the results.
Not that it really matters but I'll just point out the 636 shock is actually a few mm longer, not the same size ... but yes it does fit
Old 25-09-07, 06:58 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano View Post
B1H shock does not require a relocated battery, if you use the A1P/G/J shock it does.

For a B1H you just need to get rid of the fuse box tray and move the fuse connection block out the way plus put a spacer in the battery box so the battery does not sit on the top of the shock.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07, 07:25 PM   #9
seano

How do you do that then? I tried all sorts of orientations of the battery before I moved it, I could never get the seat to fit with the battery in.

If anyone has a photo of one which has been sucessfully fitted back into the battery bay I would like to see it so I can once again use my rear storage.

We are talking old shape aren't we?
Old 25-09-07, 07:31 PM   #10
ejohnh

I replaced my standard fork springs(rear shock OK), which were ****, with hagon progressives. £62.50 inclusive of postage and oil. The diff is like chalk n cheese. How cheap do you want anyway?