SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-06, 02:04 PM   #1
Bigocciput

Default Help!! 2005 Rusty Fuel Tank

I have a 2005 naked 650 with only 390 miles garage kept. A month ago I noticed that it would not start, so after trying the usual things I took it in to the dealership. When I opened the tank and actually looked into it, I was surprised to see rust caked all over the on the inside of the tank. It was absolutely disgusting.

I have owned the bike for 11 months and yes, I realize I should ride it more but my job and schedule has prevented me from doing so. Right now I am in for a "tank acid wash" and new fuel pump to get it working again. My question is how can this happen? The service tech related that this happens if it sits for any lengthy period of time without a full tank. I do not buy this reasoning. I have had lawnmowers, pressure washers and chain saws that have sat for 2 years without any rust in the tank. In addition I owned a new 1999 GSX 600 without a rust issue and similar low usage. Could I have received a tank made with some inferior steel? Any help would be appreciated. I am going to call Suzuki Corp. on Monday to see what they have to tell me.
Old 13-08-06, 02:08 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine developed pinholes, it was allowed to sit for more or less a year and a half before I got it, then for another 5 or so months after I broke my hip. But, it's a 6 year old bike. While the explanation's sound, it seems hugely excessive for the age, unless there was water in the tank when it was parked up.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-06, 08:18 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's steel, it rusts on contact with air.
To reduce this, when you're going to leave it for a long time make sure it's absolutely brim full.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-06, 03:19 PM   #4
Bigocciput

I have seen old steel gas cans that have no rust in them like I have in my tank. I put my finger in the top of this tank and I wipe off moist rust. The longest this sat without being ran was 6 weeks and I went to work and back (10 miles) without any difficulties. Further, I do not recall the owners manual mentioning anything about "Be sure to leave the tank full at all times to prevent the growth of rust on the inside of the fuel tank." It only mentions filling the tank up and putting stabilizer in the tank if sitting for an "extended period of time."
Old 14-08-06, 04:49 PM   #5
Kylie

Some other folks on here have complained about water in their fuel from some supermarket petrol stations, *might* be related.....
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=43013
Old 17-08-06, 03:58 PM   #6
Bigocciput

I spoke with Suzuki and they offered me a $50 USD gift certificate for repairs that will cost $730. To me this is not acceptable. After speaking with others including a service tech at another Suzuki dealer, I am told that there is no reason for this much rusting. I either got a faulty tank and fuel pump or they were rusting upon delivery. How does a fuel pump rust when it is submerged in gasoline? I will be collecting this part later in the week for inspection/evidence.
Old 17-08-06, 04:04 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigocciput
How does a fuel pump rust when it is submerged in gasoline?
Most likely from water contamination. Is the fuel pump actually rusted, or is it damaged by rust from upstream? I'm thinking the former but not sure.
Old 17-08-06, 04:25 PM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigocciput
I spoke with Suzuki and they offered me a $50 USD gift certificate for repairs that will cost $730. To me this is not acceptable. After speaking with others including a service tech at another Suzuki dealer, I am told that there is no reason for this much rusting. I either got a faulty tank and fuel pump or they were rusting upon delivery. How does a fuel pump rust when it is submerged in gasoline? I will be collecting this part later in the week for inspection/evidence.
Hey, you're American, sue them, you'll be a millionaire .

Old 17-08-06, 08:54 PM   #9
Bigocciput

I will have to wait to see the pump itself to determine if it is rusted internally
(upstream) or externally rusted. My goal of posting my problem is to learn from people who know about SV650s to see if the rusting is a result of my actions. The only people telling me it is my fault is Suzuki Corp.

Some Americans are sue happy, but it is unfair to make generalization. I just want to be sure I am not being played for a fool. I wish someone would convince me that I caused the rust problem, so I can let the issue drop.
Old 17-08-06, 10:19 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't think you caused it... I think you could have prevented it, but that's not the same. Personalyl I'd lay bets on water in the fuel, exacerbated by the lay-up... Having seen how quick the tank'll fur up with a bit of water in it, that'd make sense to me.