SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-09, 10:57 AM   #1
drag

Default Rejetting and Rebuilding carbs . help

It's gotten to the stage where i badly need to rejet my stock set up carbs.

Currently on my 01 i have a K and N air filter, and a CCC can, the results of which are a huge flat spot at 4K rpm in second gear, and general lumpiness down low, and between gears.

What i aim to do is, Remove the carbs and clean them, following this thread http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=85513
Once thats completed, i'll fit Tank spacers and remove the foam from under the tank, and rejet.

I have been half thinking about fitting a BMC RS filter also, but cash is a bit tight and will have to wait

My main questions would be as follows.

• Based on the set up described, ( CCC can, K and N filter, tank spacers and removed foam ) who wants to guess the jet sizes i should aim for ? cash is a bit low, remember we are in a recession over here also in Ireland.

• What about cleaning my carbs, would ethinol be usefull in this process or would i be better off take then some where and get them blashted ( not the technical term of course)
Old 22-01-09, 11:02 AM   #2
Dappa D

Default Re: Rejetting and Rebuilding carbs . help

wouldnt wanna guess as im pretty useless..hower i will say with my viper end can, standard system, bmc rs race filter, defoamed and raised i was using 155 mikunis and it was spot on...it may have been better with slightly larger or smaller ones but i started at 155 and was happy enough not to go through all that again lol
Old 22-01-09, 11:04 AM   #3
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
wouldnt wanna guess as im pretty useless..hower i will say with my viper end can, standard system, bmc rs race filter, defoamed and raised i was using 155 mikunis and it was spot on...it may have been better with slightly larger or smaller ones but i started at 155 and was happy enough not to go through all that again lol

Had a good read over your thread DD, it was pretty good help in getting ready to do this, it's just a bit of a pain in choosing the right sizes.

Lets see what the pro's have to say ....
Old 22-01-09, 11:09 AM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Isn't there a proper way to work out what size you need? I think my tzr needs new jets, its pouring fuel out the exhausts
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-09, 11:12 AM   #5
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I think my tzr needs new jets, its pouring fuel out the exhausts

You know im no expert, but that really cant be good right ..
Old 22-01-09, 11:31 AM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Nope. It's because it has race jets. I don't think it will get through emissions in the mot
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-09, 11:32 AM   #7
Dappa D

i know of a way of testing them based on throttle position/speed/revs etc...however this is a long process....rejet...test...rejet...test....rejet... .test....

well....

when i say i know of a way...what i mean is i have the testing information in a file somewhere im sure......would it help if i can find it and mail it to you?
Old 22-01-09, 12:43 PM   #8
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
i know of a way of testing them based on throttle position/speed/revs etc...however this is a long process....rejet...test...rejet...test....rejet... .test....

well....

when i say i know of a way...what i mean is i have the testing information in a file somewhere im sure......would it help if i can find it and mail it to you?
Already have that PDF matey, think you actually mailed it to me, get her in 4th gear at 6.5K rpm and see if she pulls and then let the trottle back to 7/8 position ...all that stuff

Cant be terribly hard to test, just need a general idea of sizes to order i guess
Old 22-01-09, 05:14 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Flat spot at 4k, try raise the needles a clip setting before forking out £6 for jets. Mains kick in more like 6k though there is some cross-over.

Do not use ethanol except where you are certain no rubber or plastic parts remain. Degunk the float bowls with carb cleaner if you wish, however the safe bet is to use petrol and compressed air.

Quick test, whack it wide open at 6krpm and see if it stumbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Nope. It's because it has race jets. I don't think it will get through emissions in the mot
No such thing. And what is a race jet when it's away?
Old 22-01-09, 05:16 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Flat spot at 4k, try raise the needles a clip setting before forking out £6 for jets.
+ 1

As Dappa said, 155's maybe the ones to go for.