SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-08-09, 11:16 PM   #1
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Quick bitta work advice?

grr annoyances.
So last week I did a job out in derbyshire, I was unable to complete the job as some one had neglected to order a couple of fibre optic cables but when I arrived everything else had been delivered to site. Anyhoo I did alls me works (including an hour or so unpaid overtime to get the job as near as possible) but as I knew a colleague would be coming back and he knew I was running late he instructed me to just bang in the equipment (switch) I was installing for him to finish, so I left the fibre optic module in the cabinet where he'd be working and emailed him to tell him. anyway the guy got there today to complete the work and the module wasn't there. Now it's all kicked off and 'whoever's responsible will have the money deducted from their pay'. I have to go in for a rollocking tomorrow.
Is this actually in anyway my fault? Can they actually deduct it from my pay? Should I let them (recession and all...which btw the boss sacked 2 people he didn't like on account of...then replaced them a month later)
Old 27-08-09, 11:24 PM   #2
tonyt

Default Re: Quick bitta work advice?

Try and get another job chap
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-09, 11:24 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

its a pain
Old 27-08-09, 11:25 PM   #4
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
grr annoyances.
So last week I did a job out in derbyshire, I was unable to complete the job as some one had neglected to order a couple of fibre optic cables but when I arrived everything else had been delivered to site. Anyhoo I did alls me works (including an hour or so unpaid overtime to get the job as near as possible) but as I knew a colleague would be coming back and he knew I was running late he instructed me to just bang in the equipment (switch) I was installing for him to finish, so I left the fibre optic module in the cabinet where he'd be working and emailed him to tell him. anyway the guy got there today to complete the work and the module wasn't there. Now it's all kicked off and 'whoever's responsible will have the money deducted from their pay'. I have to go in for a rollocking tomorrow.
Is this actually in anyway my fault? Can they actually deduct it from my pay? Should I let them (recession and all...which btw the boss sacked 2 people he didn't like on account of...then replaced them a month later)
AFAIK they cannot deduct money from your wages with out your permisson
Old 27-08-09, 11:27 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Have you checked if it's the reg/rec? Everything else in this section supposedly is...

Hope you get it sorted mate

Jambo
Old 27-08-09, 11:32 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
grr annoyances.
Do you have a proper contract of emplyment mate? If so is there a clause anywhere in it that says they can deduct money for items that go missing if they were last in your safe possesion or anything liek that? If not, then no they cant take money out. If they do, you write them a formal grievance letter. It wont stop them sacking you mind but will make the decison to take em to an emplyment tribunal for unfair dimsmissal and wages issues a lot easier for you.

obviously a cool head and diplomacy on your part are better than going thru all the above but you should be aware of it and use it as your armour.

Oh and as Jambo says, if its not the reg/rc like most other things in this section then i'd suggest checking you tyre pressures. That might help too
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-09, 02:05 AM   #7
MattCollins

Quote:
its a pain
It sounds like your boss is not to be trusted and it is much easier to find a job when you already have one.

Have you checked the chain adjustment?

Cheers
Old 28-08-09, 06:36 AM   #8
Cam_73

http://www.emplaw.co.uk/emplaw/emplo...-employee.aspx

loads of info in here.

Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheers
Old 28-08-09, 07:43 AM   #9
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_73 View Post
http://www.emplaw.co.uk/emplaw/emplo...-employee.aspx

loads of info in here.

Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheers
...but that depends on you knowing what you're looking for.

Previous advice is correct. I have recently acted for a person who was sacked where the company ran a sub post office. The Post Office did an audit and found that the branch had a huge cash shortfall, which employer tried to blame on my person, and sought to deduct a lot of money from her wages and then sacked her. The unfair dismissal claim is about to be issued, but I have got them to cough up on the wages as it was plainly unlawful - there was no defence to an unlawful deduction from wages claim. If you haven't consented - check your contract - then any deduction is unlawful. There are a few special rules for some jobs, particularly in retail, but they appear not to apply to you.
Old 28-08-09, 08:24 AM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
...but that depends on you knowing what you're looking for.

Previous advice is correct. I have recently acted for a person who was sacked where the company ran a sub post office. The Post Office did an audit and found that the branch had a huge cash shortfall, which employer tried to blame on my person, and sought to deduct a lot of money from her wages and then sacked her. The unfair dismissal claim is about to be issued, but I have got them to cough up on the wages as it was plainly unlawful - there was no defence to an unlawful deduction from wages claim. If you haven't consented - check your contract - then any deduction is unlawful. There are a few special rules for some jobs, particularly in retail, but they appear not to apply to you.
Cheers Ed (and everyone else) , very useful - can have a bit more confidence in my argument now. Went in this morning briefly (only really to give them a chance to get it over and done with) but all was eerily quiet and my manager wouldn't talk to me so I'm assuming he must have got a shouting at too. Not heard anything more of it yet...

Last edited by Dave20046; 28-08-09 at 08:25 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote