SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-11-07, 09:01 AM   #1
clodge

Default Earplugs

Hi

Probably a daft question but we're hoping to do our first long-ish ride up North to Leeds next weekend (if the weather's ok - yes we're wimps!) and as we're still getting used to the bike - do you think earplugs are necessary? We haven't worn them when me and my sister have been doing local routes but we'd be doing the A1 route and just thought that to begin with it may be better to hear the traffic until we get fully used to motorway riding!

Cheers
Old 26-11-07, 09:11 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Earplugs

If I'm doing anymore than a quick blast across town then I always wear my earplugs. Wind noise / white noise is a really good way of damaging your hearing. I didnt used to wear them and now I notice I'm going deaf slightly.

So yes in your situation I'd wear them. When you've got a shift on on the motorway / fast A road the wind noise is quite loud you wont hear the traffic over it anyway IMHO. If you do plenty of obs and keep an eye on your mirrors and leave a good gap between you and the vehicle in front you'll be fine,.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-07, 09:14 AM   #3
Ed

Yes definitely wear them. You should still be able to hear what's going on around you. If you don't you'll have very sore ears after a while...

I use 'Bio Ears' from Boots. Like a blue gel that you press into your ear - not shaped like normal earplugs. They're v v good.
Old 26-11-07, 09:15 AM   #4
clodge

Thanks for this.
Old 26-11-07, 09:21 AM   #5
Ceri JC

TRY TALKING TO OLD BIKERS TO DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT YOU NEED EARPLUGS. YOU MIGHT FIND THAT THEY SHOUT QUITE A BIT!

The "I want to hear traffic" stuff is just people trying to make justification for not wearing plugs (when there isn't really any) IMO. Earplugs act a bit like low pass filters- they cut out most of the high end noise (which is mainly what does the damage to your hearing). You can still hear horns, sirens, engine noise, etc. It's mainly just that the constant windblast noise is dramatically lessened. I don't wear them when going across town and I'll occassionally leave them out if it's just a 2 mile bit down a dual carriageway, but anymore than that and I put them in. Once in a while riding without plugs won't do you any harm, but if you do it all the time and your riding career is a long one you definately do damage. Don't listen to the "You'll get used to the noise" brigade; unless you have a very quiet lid. The reason you'll get used to it is because you'll be going deaf!
Old 26-11-07, 09:53 AM   #6
Kyytsis

And remember that there are different earplugs available. Any type is better than not having them at all, but some are more comfortable than others.

I have used a type that are made of silicon and have some small hole in the middle - they don't give that "echo" inside your head as most normal plugs. Also, I carry couple of sets of normal plugs in the pocket for the passanger... You get less banging to your back when the rearseat has plugs as the speed doesn't feel as fast.
Old 26-11-07, 11:03 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyytsis View Post
And remember that there are different earplugs available. Any type is better than not having them at all, but some are more comfortable than others.
Yep, they're a bit like lids; a cheap earplug that fits your particular head well is better than a pricey one that is too loose. My advice would be to try one of these "5 different type of earplugs" bundles on ebay to find out which ones you like/suit your ears and then buy a big lot of them. I have fairly small ear canals for a man and use laserlite ones (fluro pink and yellow). Generally, these suit women quite well. Putting them in properly makes a big difference too; a bit of moisture (spit will do) roll them thin, pull back your ear with the arm from the opposite side to the ear (easiest with your arm behind your head) and then put them in, allowing them to expand fully before putting your lid on is supposed to be the 'proper' way and I find it works well.

You can have custom made ones done, but people's results with them vary wildly from well worth the money, to "worse than 50p foam ones". There's also the extremely costly possibility of losing one of them. I'll shut up about them now, I'm really into music, so earplugs are an important subject for me.
Old 26-11-07, 11:26 AM   #8
DoubleD

Yes, get some ear plugs, I got myself a pack of 50 pairs off ebay.
Old 26-11-07, 01:37 PM   #9
flibble

If anyone's interested.. Boots Opticians are doing free hearing test at the moment.

Am getting mine done next week, being bit "sad", but want to keep a record and see if my hearing deteriorates.. I always wear ear plugs, but beginning to wondering if my hearing is still getting a little worse
Old 26-11-07, 01:46 PM   #10
sv-robo

ive been riding most of my life & never used earplugs & my hearings fine.

I SAY MY HEARINGS FINE..........eh