SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-12-07, 06:25 PM   #1
aalmode12

Default Winter "storage"/riding advice

Hey everyone! Just needed some simple advice. I have been reading about what to do if you want to store your bike for the winter....but thats not exactly what I want to do.

I have a 2003 SV650S -- I want to ride my bike at least once every couple weeks during the winter season. AND I might have to keep it sitting outside exposed to cold rain/snow.

What should I do? Should I use fuel stabilizer if I will be riding once every couple weeks? Can my bike handle being in cold rain/snow? What should I do to make everything 'OK'?

I may try to find a garage to keep my bike if you guys don't think there is a good way to leave it outside in the winter. Also, I am Washington DC so it does get cold/snow here.

Thank you much!
Old 24-12-07, 08:40 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Winter "storage"/riding advice

ACF 50 it, keep it under a cover.

Consider an optimate to keep the battery alive.
Old 24-12-07, 11:33 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

you won't need to add anything to your fuel, I'd polish with an acrilic polish to begin with, then make sure you wash the bike each time you leave it ( removing any road grime and salt) and dry it to if you're covering it up, run the engine up to temp and spray the engine with wd40 or something, you'll get a mist cloud from contact on the hot bits, acf 50 on any bolts and bits on the frame running gear, but keep it off the brake disks, let it cool and cover it, if you aren't going to ride it for a week or more then a trickle charger of some kind is worthwhile considering.

Should be fine.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-07, 11:38 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
keep it off the brake disks,
That bit should be in caps, its really worth remembering!
Old 25-12-07, 12:49 AM   #5
aalmode12

great....thanks for the advice!

I love this forum.