SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-08, 12:49 PM   #1
TheShadow

Default Looking to possibly buy an SV650S , but engine codes do no match.

I am looking to buy an SV650S but upon doing an hpi search on a particular bike it showed the engine codes do not match the ones held by the dvla.

Can anyone advise where the engine codes are on an SV650 are they just on the crank casing?

I am trying to confirm that the reason for different engine numbers is just due to a replacement crank casing and nothing more sinister.
Old 01-03-08, 02:58 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Looking to possibly buy an SV650S , but engine codes do no match.

Theres plenty of svs out there which have had their engines replaced with a 2nd hand one after a mechanical failure.How old is the bike you are looking at,and does everything else add up?How many owners and is the seller dodgy?Mileage?
Old 01-03-08, 03:54 PM   #3
TheShadow

I should be able to get the bike for ?1,400 privatly.

The bikes had 4 owners the current owner has only had the bike for 7 months.

The bike is in good cosmetic condition with 27,000 miles on the clock. The owner claims to have all mots which should verify this.

I will inpect the bike properly tomorrow but the fact that the engine numbers dont match up does make me slightly suspicous.
Old 01-03-08, 04:02 PM   #4
husky03
Mega Poster

if in doubt walk away mate-theres plenty of bikes out there-don't get misty eyed with the first you see.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 04:08 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
if in doubt walk away mate-theres plenty of bikes out there-don't get misty eyed with the first you see.
I'd agree with husky, if in doubt walk away!

A lot of SV's have had there engine replaced! My oldest curvy is on her third engine, but thats down to me buying a spare and tuning it before fitting it (my bike is used all year round). I have always completed the V5 afterwards though and sent it off, if this work was done by a garage then they would request the V5 before allowing the bike to leaves there premises (some law about that but I can't remember what its called or the number).
Old 02-03-08, 02:02 PM   #6
TheShadow

I went to see the bike today , the engine number match that of whats on the V5C still unsure on how i tell if it has been replaced.
Old 02-03-08, 04:45 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Suzuki can tell you which engine was in which chassis when the bike was originally sold.
Old 02-03-08, 05:05 PM   #8
tomjones2

It is possible that the dvla/hpi people can have made a misktake with their data input. My new sv docs came back from the dvla as a rare example of a 1000cc sv650s.

Also while it more than possible to have an sv with a diffrent engine, i would probaly walk unless its cheap. I have swapped an sv engine in mine and the first engine had water in the cylinder and got sent back. The second had a damaged cylinder head that leaks a tiny ammount of oil, apart from my gearbox being broken most of the external parts on my original, higher millage and older engine were in much better condition. At the end of the day I took the risk and kept it but you problay dont know how a replacment engine has been stored.
Old 03-03-08, 05:51 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
My new sv docs came back from the dvla as a rare example of a 1000cc sv650s.
Either the DVLA made a typo, or the previous owner has swapped engines and wrote down it was a 1000cc. However; the DVLA have records from the initial registration of what engine is in what chassis so it could be possible that the engine number is actually off a 1000cc bike!
Old 03-03-08, 06:03 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I should be able to get the bike for ?1,400 privatly.

The bikes had 4 owners the current owner has only had the bike for 7 months.

what year is it?