SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-08, 05:35 PM   #1
skyline

Default A noobie question about chain lubing

Hi all

Just oiled my chain after taking it out on a ride but I've got a feeling I put too much on...

After applying it and moving the back wheel (I used pj1 black label lube) I was getting oil residue sticking between the back sprocket and the chain - kind of like melted cheese on pizza kind of effect

What is the right amount of lube to put on the chain and if there's too much, what's a good way to get excess off without taking too much lube off?

I've done a search and seen a post which says you only need to lube the o-rings at the chain sides, how many people do this?

Sorry for the noobie questions

Cheers!
Old 02-03-08, 05:53 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: A noobie question about chain lubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Hi all

Just oiled my chain after taking it out on a ride but I've got a feeling I put too much on...

After applying it and moving the back wheel (I used pj1 black label lube) I was getting oil residue sticking between the back sprocket and the chain - kind of like melted cheese on pizza kind of effect

What is the right amount of lube to put on the chain and if there's too much, what's a good way to get excess off without taking too much lube off?

I've done a search and seen a post which says you only need to lube the o-rings at the chain sides, how many people do this?

Sorry for the noobie questions

Cheers!
Dont worry about the excess lube - it'll fling off and make a right mess! A well oiled chain is no bad thing, but remember to clean out the crap when you next clean the bike (there is a plastic cover you can remove to reveal the front sprocket, the bits around there can get covered in gunk from lube fling).

I give my chain a good coating, and its in good condition for it; better than no lube and a rusty chain, i figure

Matt
Old 03-03-08, 12:31 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The only such thing as over-oiling your chain is when you use 14 gallons of grease, it goes over your back tyre and you fall off.
Old 03-03-08, 07:47 AM   #4
New Leaf

I read an interview with the MD fom PJ1 and he said the best way to lube a chain with his product was to spay it on the chain, spin the back wheel a few times and then wipe the chain with a clean rag to remove the excess.

You won't remove any lube from the bits that need it, ie on the inside around the o-rings. You'd just be wiping off the bits that would fling off and make a huge mess in the first couple of miles, and making sure u have a thin even coverage.
Old 05-03-08, 12:42 AM   #5
monkey

Little tip, lube it after a ride cos the chain's nice and warm and it helps the lube get into the crevices. So lube it after rather than before, that'll also help reduce fling.
Old 21-03-08, 05:04 PM   #6
Beiciwr

Recently aquired my k3, (I'm a newbie biker, so forgive me) and it's got an auto lube pipe touching the chain by the rear sprocket. I guess this is standard. It seems to lube the left side of the chain well, but not the right, which always looks dry. Ought I to lube these? (I've got the recommended stuff - can I safely be reasonably generous with it?). And final question, I guess the autolube device takes oil from the main oil reservoir, right? How much does it use?
Old 21-03-08, 05:08 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Your auto lube thing, is more than likely a scotoiler. Dont worry about the side of the chain that has no lube on it, it doesnt need it. Search for posts by Sid Squid as he'll explain it better than I can. Its not standard and is something the previous owner will have added to their bike, and it is IMHO a sensible addition, both my bikes have one on them.

No it doesnt use oil from the bikes main oil resevoir, it has its own seperate one. This will be mounted on the bike somewhere, either under the pillion seat or maybe under the black plastic infills under the main riders seat or perhaps mounted externally on the rear subframe somewhere.

Have a look around it'll be there somewhere. See here for more info on scottoilers

http://www.scottoiler.com/

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-08, 05:15 PM   #8
Beiciwr

Hey, thanks for that. That was speedy! Hmm, not seen a reservoir, will have a look tomorrow.
Cheers,
Old 22-03-08, 01:07 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They can be tucked away under the back plastics or next to the shock, you can adjust the flow and need to put some more oil in it occasionally, on the plus side you don't need to lube your chain and it'll sort of keep itself clean.
Old 22-03-08, 05:26 PM   #10
Beiciwr

Fizzwheel & Yorkie Chris, thanks for your advice on this one.
Yes, I found the Scotoiler - it's under the pillion seat, but strapped away very discretely. Cylinder is half full, seems to be properly adjusted, but I'll keep an eye on it from now on! I've also searched out Sid Squid's post on lubeing, which reassures me that it's a good system. Thanks again guys. (Got a fortnight's hols now, mostly at home here in Snowdonia, and itching to get out there .....)