SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 13-03-08, 10:48 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default SV Ecosse Glencoe Massacre- August 16th 2008

Introducing the SV Ecosse Glencoe Massacre! A new national rideout and social event for all of SV650.org, and the perfect opportunity to sample Scottish roads, Scottish hospitality and Scottish midges. Every time I come south I hear the same thing, "I want to get up to Scotland sometime"- so no more excuses!

This thread is for discussion of the event itself, general chat, meetup plans etc should be posted here:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=113614

THE MAIN EVENT

We've found the perfect biker friendly location near Loch Lomond, just 30 miles from Glasgow, that's within easy striking distance of some of the best roads in the country, but which can be reached in one day from the entire country (though for some of you, a cast iron **** may be required) It's worth mentioning that me and Blueflame did a longer ride to get to the AR and back

We've mapped out a peach of a main route on the Saturday from lochsides to mountains- high roads and low roads. The main route is great to ride and an SV Ecosse favourite- it's very varied and suitable for all levels and styles of riders, and the route will be fully marked so everyone will be able to make their own pace without fear of getting lost in the middle of Scotland or ever having to push too hard to keep up.

We'll also throw in "optional extras" of 3 of the finest biking roads in the country- the legendary B863 from North Ballachulish to Glencoe Village (described by Niall Mackenzie and Jamie Whitham as the best road in Britain, and also by me) and the very technical Duke's Pass (A821) near Callander, rounding things off with a bounce along Kitkat's famous "Wibbly Wobbly Road" through Glen Fruin and along the side of Loch Long (the A817 and A814) These will be combined with rest stops so there's no pressure to join these more challenging parts of the ride if you're not in the mood, but again the marker system means that you can take them at your own pace, the choice will be entirely yours on the day.

THE LOCATION - Thread updated to include photos, you'll them here http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...&postcount=197

The weekend will centre around Beinglas Campsite at Inverarnan, just past Loch Lomond. This really is a fantastic location- as well as 100 touring pitches at £6 per night the site also has bed and breakfast chalets at £35, and WIGWAMS at £12 per night! No s**t, actual wigwams! * All prices are per person. The site should accomodate everyone who wants to camp. UPDATE- on-site B&B and wigwams are both currently full, campsite still has plenty of space. Other B&B is available nearby. The site also has a lounge bar and restaurant, an onsite shop, and even a bad-weather shelter with kitchen and pool table. Inverarnan is less than 10 miles from Crainlarich and Arrochar, both population centres with decent shops, much more accomodation etc, but the base of operations will be Beinglas. It's also right by the famous Drover's Inn, a popular biker's spot and very good b&b and pub-and fallback plan if it rains!

Their website is http://www.beinglascampsite.co.uk/.

THE OTHER STUFF!

After the rideout, we'll adjourn to the campsite at Inverarnan for "light refreshments" and, possibly, some people will fall in the river while so drunk they can't speak. I accept no responsibility if you should die of exposure, or be midge-bitten to death. Full details of the after-ride party will be confirmed closer to the event as I need to scout the location out further, but there will be beer, yes, and apparently this is where they make whiskey too.

Bookings can be made now directly with the campsite- but depending on demand I might block book some spaces and maybe some of the wigwams. More information and photos will be added as and when available, and depending on numbers we're also considering adding a second rideout- watch this space.

Yes, it's quite far away for some of you- other countries tend to be. I've just run this in routeplanner and it's 450 miles and about 7 and a half hours of seat time from central London, or 340 miles and 5 and a half hours from Birmingham, for example. The base camp is just 35 miles from Glasgow. But if I can do a 1200 mile weekend to get to the AR08 with a gimped leg and a bike that drinks petrol like the Soho Massive drink overpriced coffee, then you can make it here

(*- though disappointingly, what you think is a wigwam - a conical tent- is actually a teepee, a wigwam is a sort of compact log cabin. Gutted! But still, you get a bed with an actual roof for £12 per night. Book early if you want one of these!)

IMPORTANT- if you're coming, please sign up here:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=112975

I'd appreciate if you could also drop me a PM or email with contact info, ideally a phone number + email address. That's also an ideal time to give me emergency contact details and actual real names and reg numbers if possible, obviously this isn't compulsory but it does make sense)

OTHER THREADS:

For general chat:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=113614

The southern softies ride in:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=113812
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 19-07-08 at 12:28 AM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-08, 10:53 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV Ecosse Glencoe Massacre- August 16th 2008

THE SATURDAY ROUTE

This may be slightly subject to change depending on road conditions and weather, but the route in a nutshell is as follows- starting at Inverarnan, we take the A82 to Arrochar then the A83 to Inveraray, where we turn north and head up the A819 to Loch Awe. (the road along Loch Awe is amazing, it's literally built on stilts above the loch, and the mountains drop straight down almost vertically on either side. I always expect to see hobbits) From there we take the A86 to Connel Bridge, then the A828 takes us to Ballachulish and Glencoe Village and our first optional extra, the B863 around Loch Leven. To be honest, you should not miss this road, it's fantastic- but it's a loop so an ideal opportunity for a break if you need it.

After this, we head up the A82 to Glencoe (worth a stop here for photos and general ooh-ing and aah-ing, Glencoe is glorious in any weather), and then across desolate (and extremely fast) Rannochmoor, to the Green Welly at Tyndrum, another famous biking meetup. The A82 takes us back to Crainlarich, which is very close to the campsite if anyone is feeling the miles and wants to skive off early.

But you don't want to stop here- next we take the A85 through Glen Dochart to Lochearnhead, then the A84 south to Callander and the Trossachs National Park and optional extra number 2, the Duke's Pass- the A821 to Aberfoyle and back. Yes, we do the same road both ways. You will not ask me why afterwards. This is a tricky and occasionally dangerous road and not to be treated lightly, but it's one of the finest routes we have to offer. Carelesschucca would live there, if it wasn't for those noisy motorbikes waking him up.

After a break at Callandar, where you might want to buy some hilariously expensive shortbread or a stuffed haggis, we carry on down the A85 to Doune, then at Stirling we double back along the A811 which brings us to Balloch, and optional extra number 3- Kitkat's renowned Wibbly Wobbly Road, a sort of demented tarmac rollercoaster. This takes us back to Arrochar and then to the campsite for a well earned beer.

UPDATE- Due to popular demand a sunday ride is also now planned, more details later in the thread

Last edited by northwind; 08-07-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 14-03-08, 03:45 PM   #3
petevtwin650

For those that can't wait until tonight and also for Northwind chained to his desk. Here's a rough outline of the route. Don't forget you can use the satelite image to let you get a more realistic idea. 265 miles.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...,0.708618&z=10
Old 14-03-08, 05:26 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Good man... The entire route's quite modular, you can easily peel off halfway through or even join halfway through, for instance, and there's also the option of cutting off the westward loop in the morning. It's a fairly long run by "big rideout" standards, especially if you do the optional extras, but it'd be a shame to come all this way then ride to the corner and back
Old 14-03-08, 09:01 PM   #5
-Ralph-

OK, plenty of folks up for a ride out on the Sunday....

So after a quick PM to our organiser Northy to get the go ahead, how about this as a route?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...2,2.554321&z=9

I'm past my drinking myself into a coma days, so whilst I'll be enjoying a drink the night before, I'll be bright and breezy (and more importantly sober enough) in the morning to lead anyone who wants to come on this wee jaunt.

If your doing Scotlands best roads on Saturday, Sunday will be Scotlands second best!

Probably won't leave the campsite until 10:30 to 11am to allow some recovery time in the morning and would expect to be back at the campsite mid to late afternoon. This is to allow folk time to pack up camp and get the majority of their journeys home done in the daylight.

It's a 150 odd miles and with breaks and fuel stops I'd expect it to take about 4 hours. I'll post up detailed route and break/fuel stops later. There will be maps available on the day for anyone that wants one.

Not worried about specific numbers for this rideout, it will be happening even if it's just a few bikes. We'll scope out demand in the morning when everyone knows how they feel and are happy they're within the legal alcohol limit!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 14-03-08 at 09:05 PM.
Old 15-03-08, 03:37 AM   #6
stewie

Right, I know its a while off n all, but if anyone,s heading north on the friday , you,ll be very welcome to stop at my place in Warrington on the thurs night instead, Im about halfway between london and the south east/west and Loch Lomomd, so the offers there if anyone fancies it.
Old 18-03-08, 02:08 AM   #7
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
OK, plenty of folks up for a ride out on the Sunday....

So after a quick PM to our organiser Northy to get the go ahead, how about this as a route?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...2,2.554321&z=9

If your doing Scotlands best roads on Saturday, Sunday will be Scotlands second best!
The route from Lochearnhead to crieff is sensational - IIRC colin's favourite two corners after St.Fillans. From Dunkeld to Blairgowrie - awesome. Very Duke's pass like - I videoed it somewhere on the site. It's a shame we couldn't go all the way to ballater then double back to Bridge of Cally. That road from the Spittal to Braemar was the single best 20 miles of racetrack I have ever ridden - I just love it.

Oh boy.....
Old 18-03-08, 02:44 AM   #8
stuartyboy

I've done the route as best I can....linky below.

Gonna be one hell of a ride!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...02&ie=UTF8&z=9
Old 18-03-08, 12:51 PM   #9
stuartyboy

A taster of the Duke's pass...not sure if this is our very own Grant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koehqd72ZMo
Old 18-03-08, 01:00 PM   #10
Devil Biccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy View Post
A taster of the Duke's pass...not sure if this is our very own Grant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koehqd72ZMo
Wow Wow Wow Can't wait have to get dog sitter booked defo