SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-04-08, 06:28 PM   #1
xXBADGERXx

Default SV650s Smoking on Overrun and Downchange

Went out for a ride today and had 2 mates behind me , When I got to Betwys-Y-Coed my mate said that everytime I was in overrun or downchanged there was a puff of smoke coming from the exhaust . I`m desperately worried about this , when I picked the bike up last week my other mate didnt say anything about this , since then I`ve fitted a Scottoiler with the Vacuum running off the throttle bodies and was wondering if this was drawing Scottoil back into the engine at all ? . One of the lads said it smelled sweet rather than burnt . 2003 Sv650s Pointy .

Any opinions or advice . I haven`t been gunning the bike either it has been treated with respect since I got her 2 weeks ago , she also has just over 7,000 miles on the clock .
Old 13-04-08, 07:08 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s Smoking on Overrun and Downchange

If you used a vacuum pickup as specified in the scottoiler instructions, then it will not / should not be drawing scottoil back into the throttle bodies.

Have you checked for oil in the air-box?

How old is the bike / mileage? Service history?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-08, 07:10 PM   #3
xXBADGERXx

Not checked Airbox for oil , bike is on a 53 plate but was registered 1/1/04 , done around 7200 miles and has a full service History , gonna chuck the tank off now and take a peek in the airbox .
Old 13-04-08, 07:15 PM   #4
tone64

If this has happened since fitting the oiler, disconnect it and see what gives
Old 13-04-08, 07:17 PM   #5
xXBADGERXx

Airbox is clean as a whistle , disconnected scottoiler this afternnon and taped over the end of the tube , will see what it`s like after a run to work and back .

On a side note my mate has connected the Scottoiler Vacuum feed to the throttle body on the LH side of the bike as if you were riding it , Scottoiler site shows theirs as being the the Right , will this make any difference ?
Old 13-04-08, 07:17 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Well I'd start by disconnecting it and trying again.

Airbox shouldn't be clean as a whistle Are the breathers connected OK, these being loose would make it run lean, though this normally shows on acceleration not overrun...
Old 13-04-08, 07:25 PM   #7
lloyd_christmas

If it is not the scottoiler, which it probably is, it could be your valve stem seals.

That is unlikely on such a low mileage bike though. Your oil level would also be dropping if this was the case.
Old 13-04-08, 07:28 PM   #8
ivantate

I would go for the modifications as the cause. Is the oil going down in the scotoiler quickly??

Its usually a worn engine that would smoke on overrun but you would have to do something special on an SV for that to happen in 7000miles. Has the oil level changed at all?
Old 13-04-08, 07:44 PM   #9
xXBADGERXx

Well as you can see the airbox is actually clean inside , the ridges on the top part are an off white grey on colour , but nothing drastic . Oil level in scottoiler is hard to tell as it`s the touring one , oil level of bike is just below the top of the sight glass and actually way above the recommended lines . No idea where these breathers are .
Old 13-04-08, 07:47 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
oil level of bike is just below the top of the sight glass and actually way above the recommended lines .
Well then thats what I'd suggest your problem is. Drain some of the oil out till the level is in between the marks on the crankcase.

You need to check the oil level with the bike level and upright, dont check the oil level with it on the sidestand...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote