SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-04-08, 12:11 PM   #1
svpilot

Default Teaching an adult to ride a push bike?

A bit of a sad one this. I have a good friend who was abused as a child. The thing is, on top of the emotional side, some things are a constant reminder of their miserable childhood. Such as never being taught to ride a bike. Has anyone here ever managed to teach an adult to ride a bike? My friend is keen to learn and I have a few ideas. The biggest hurdle I can see is their embarassment. Anyone got any tips or suggestions?
Old 27-04-08, 12:43 PM   #2
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

Default Re: Teaching an adult to ride a push bike?

I think patience is most important. Give 'em a few hints and they'll probably start working it out for themselves. Everyone learns differently.

Alex
Old 27-04-08, 12:53 PM   #3
missyburd

I was never taught to ride a pushbike when I was younger and as a result my mate decided to have a shot at teaching me a couple of summers back. I was really wobbly at the start but picked it up after about ten minutes, so after riding up and down the drive several times we decided to take the bikes somewhere a bit more adventurous....the common lol. Everything was fine and I was riding for about two hours and really getting the hang of it. Then we too the road home, on the pavement About 5 mins from her house I managed to collide with a breeze block and must have used the wrong brake and went flying over the handlebars....

At this point I shall add we weren't wearing helmets and as a result I can't remember much of how it happened and ended up spending the night in hospital, I was very lucky.

Moral of the story, make sure whoever is learning wears a HELMET! The problem with learning later on in life is that you forget that you're not made of rubber anymore as you were when a kid, falling off becomes a bit more serious if you're daft like me

But patience is a virtue as they say, a good teacher is always a help
Old 27-04-08, 04:47 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
I was never taught to ride a pushbike when I was younger and as a result my mate decided to have a shot at teaching me a couple of summers back. I was really wobbly at the start but picked it up after about ten minutes, so after riding up and down the drive several times we decided to take the bikes somewhere a bit more adventurous....the common lol. Everything was fine and I was riding for about two hours and really getting the hang of it. Then we too the road home, on the pavement About 5 mins from her house I managed to collide with a breeze block and must have used the wrong brake and went flying over the handlebars....

At this point I shall add we weren't wearing helmets and as a result I can't remember much of how it happened and ended up spending the night in hospital, I was very lucky.

Moral of the story, make sure whoever is learning wears a HELMET! The problem with learning later on in life is that you forget that you're not made of rubber anymore as you were when a kid, falling off becomes a bit more serious if you're daft like me

But patience is a virtue as they say, a good teacher is always a help

That's just too funny!

Sorry! hehe
Old 27-04-08, 04:49 PM   #5
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post

That's just too funny!

Sorry! hehe
I can see the funny side now but my family and friends don't, it wasn't a nice time for them. Things could have turned out a lot worse than they did, as I said I was lucky.
Old 27-04-08, 05:06 PM   #6
Gene genie

get them to fall off very quickly. the longer it goes on the bigger the fear becomes. get that over with then i'm sure they'll pick it up, sorry no pun intended but it is quite funny. good luck.
Old 27-04-08, 05:35 PM   #7
beaniebikerbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpilot View Post
A bit of a sad one this. I have a good friend who was abused as a child. The thing is, on top of the emotional side, some things are a constant reminder of their miserable childhood. Such as never being taught to ride a bike. Has anyone here ever managed to teach an adult to ride a bike? My friend is keen to learn and I have a few ideas. The biggest hurdle I can see is their embarassment. Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

hiya loads of patience really and good sense of humour for u both, some where quiet i would guess? good luck any ways
Old 27-04-08, 07:58 PM   #8
malks

a massive bags of cans and a big open space! at least if you dot teach them to ride, you'll still have a great laugh!

on a more serious note, try and take them somewhere, where its only you 2 and just get them to practise. i think adults pick these sort of things up wuicker than kids
Old 27-04-08, 08:05 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post

That's just too funny!

Sorry! hehe
Wasn't at the time...
Old 28-04-08, 11:20 AM   #10
Mousetrapper

Stabilisers? Please take photos!!