SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-08, 02:40 PM   #1
Spider

Default Chain and sprockets.

How long should a chain/sprocket last? My K6 650 has done 21,000 and i`ve just maxed out my wheel adjustment, is 20,000 about right for a Vtwin? And i`m gonna need to change aforementioned items, what`s the best n how much?
Old 15-06-08, 02:50 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Chain n sprocket

Get a set from B&C Express.

As for the longevity of a chain it all depends how you ride and of course how you look after your chain!
Old 15-06-08, 03:23 PM   #3
glang

Thats about what I got from the OE chain with moderate riding and maintenance but no scottoiler. Then I put a new cheapy chain on without new sprockets and it lasted about 6 or 7k! For not a lot more money Ill always replace the lot in future.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-08, 03:40 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

That's not a bad innings... Realistically most of us neglect our chains at some point so we tend not to get the best mileage, especially without a scottoiler.

B&C are my choice too but they've got a wee bit of a bewildering range now. Oh yeah, aluminium sprockets don't last as well as steel, if you want longevity only a steel tooth makes any sense. I use a Renthal ally one, because I'm an idiot essentially Renthal fronts don't seem to be all that long lasting, since they're usually paired with ally rear sprockets they don't have to be but I think they'd be a limiting factor in a steel-toothed rear setup.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-08, 10:04 PM   #5
sv650k4

Default Re: Chain and sprockets.

aye i use B&C my self good service and fast delivery!

Old 15-06-08, 10:06 PM   #6
Spider

Cheers guys. Northy what`s the advantages of the renthal sprocket? (cos i`m a bit of an idiot as well!) I now run a scottoiler and have done for a while cos lets face it, who remembers to oil their chain once every couple of months?!
Old 15-06-08, 10:22 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Just that it's lighter- aluminium instead of steel. But it's such a token weight loss, it makes no sense really for a road bike. They also look nice They're far and away the best alloy sprockets, their hard anodising is really effective so they outlast Vortex (frinstance) by about 3-1, but still, aluminium is softer than steel.

But I'm a tart, so I like lightweight colourful things, even when they make little sense. Think of it as being like a carbon fibre mudguard, utterly irrelevant weight loss in the grand scheme of things and functionally no better than standard, but it looks much lighter
Old 15-06-08, 10:30 PM   #8
Spider

Northy, like i said "i`m a bit of an idiot" but i`m not a tart just looked at the B & C web site, confused or what. I think i`d like to stay with what i`ve got but maybe heavy duty as the chain seemed to need adjustment after every other ride. What are they fitted with from new?
Old 15-06-08, 10:39 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Aye, there's like 10 million options on the B&C website, I haven't a clue what's best or worst any more, so I buy Renthal chainwheels because they're pretty and DID chains out of pure personal prejudice. God knows if that's a good choice, but that's where the Renthals are handy- they last less time than any chain on the market so it makes no sense to go big on the chain

But, well... It's a 70bhp bike. You don't need heavy duty anything.
Old 15-06-08, 10:58 PM   #10
Spider

yeah i get ya meaning, was just thinking spend a bit to save in the long run. Maybe i`ll just replace like for like as this lot has done me well