SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-06-08, 09:24 AM   #1
nakedblue650

Default I have no idea what you lot are talking about...........

Hi One and All

Just wanted to say that I have been reading some of the techy forum threads and I have no idea what you lot are talking about!

Mind you I only sat on a bike for the first time 6 weeks ago and now find myself adourning a naked 650 K4. I hope in the coming weeks that some of the lingo and stuff that is being discussed will become a little more familiar so in essence this is a cheeky intro and hello - I didn't realise that people were so passionate about SV's.

Just for little profile, blue, naked, K4, absoultely bog standard, still running in engine, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

I would appreciate any useful tips for a first time rider of the SV!

Also having read til 1AM last night there seems to be a split between curvy/pointy and nakeds. Is this the case and should I get my coat and leave .org as a naked?!!

Cheers

nb650
Old 18-06-08, 09:33 AM   #2
haggis

Default Re: I have no idea what you lot are talking about...........

Hi and welcome!

You're right about the great divide, it's an ongoing thing never to be settled in our lifetime. Personally i sit in the previously clothed, but now naked and curvy group!

There's a lot to learn about the little SV, so sit back enjoy the forum and let it all soak in at an easy pace. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions, they've all been asked before!

Q? You have a K4 and it's still not run in? How is this? Previous owner a bit shy or something?
Old 18-06-08, 09:58 AM   #3
nakedblue650

Cheers Haggis,

In brief a guy brought the bike, Feb 2006, got binned the next day on a commuter bike, spent a year in hospital and eventually decided never to ride again (understandably) hence £2700 later I own a K4 with 2 miles on it. All I have to do is curb my need for speed for a couple of weeks!

About the divide I hope its a friendly rivalry! The only resaon I didn't go clothed is I wanted to avoid anything that has the posture of something sporty in terms of self preservation! That and now I'm riding I quite like the almost hooligan feel of the naked.

I dont suppose anybody has a rough idea omn 1st service and second service costs? I would like to budget for these as I have spent my tax money on the SV!

Cheers again

nb650
Old 18-06-08, 10:04 AM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

don't worry about not knowing what any of us are on about.......because half of us don't either...lol
I have been riding SVs for 4 years and until last year didn't know my ass from my elbow on the technical side......now I find that most days I am covered in oily muck, and every now and again give helpful hints that I have picked up along the way.
Last year i wouldn't have attempted to take a fairing off, now I have swapped a cylinder head, and learned to service my brakes....to name just a few

welcome in by the way....once your here, you never leave..mwahahahahaha

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-08, 10:10 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedblue650 View Post
That and now I'm riding I quite like the almost hooligan feel of the naked.
So downgear it, fit some gsxr suspendies and stick a very loud exhaust system on it. Proper hooligan then
Old 18-06-08, 10:11 AM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
I dont suppose anybody has a rough idea omn 1st service and second service costs? I would like to budget for these as I have spent my tax money on the SV!

Cheers again

nb650
If its been sitting that long you want to do the 1st service now as the oil may have degraded.

Thats just an oil change and filter change - go to Halfords, buy the Haynes Manual, 4 liters of oil and a filter - should get change from £50

Then in another 600 miles, repeat (minus the Haynes Manual will cost about £35)

At 4000 miles, well do the same as the 600 mile one, then at 8000 miles, same again and spark plugs.

Might be worth getting the 1st service done at a garage tho - they do tend to give the bike a once-over to check all was assembled at the PDI stage correctly.

Give Steve Jordan motorcycles a call re the cost - usually 1st services only cos is materials if done at a dealer - but dont know how that would apply to you.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-08, 10:19 AM   #7
nakedblue650

Ha!Ha! Cheers Chris I dont know what you mean but it sounds good! The trade off is approaching 40 from the right side I might be too old to be a hooly!

Hi SoulKiss, fortunately the guy who sold for the injured guy works for a Yamahaha dealer and did all the fluids so I'm reasonably happy with that but do like the idea of a little home maintenance, just hate Halfords!

Many thanks I'd better go to work know!

Cheers

nb650

p.s. whats downgear and suspendies?
Old 18-06-08, 10:22 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:

p.s. whats downgear and suspendies?
knowing YC very well, I'm pretty sure he means change the sprockets and put a gixxer front end on!!

suspendies...suspension...

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-08, 10:25 AM   #9
haggis

Ah, I see why the low miles now nb650. You have a bargain there.

Good point soulkiss.

Check in your logbook. Let the garage that sold the bike to the previous owner know your situation, they should give the first service (usually 600 miles) totally free of charge.

***(ok ignore the last bit, just read your reply)***

Last edited by haggis; 18-06-08 at 10:27 AM. Reason: i'm too slow! lol.
Old 18-06-08, 10:31 AM   #10
hovis

hello.

i think you are missing the whole point.

its the colour thats more important, yellow being the fastest and coolest