SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-08, 11:29 AM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default HID lighting

Got the oppertunity to get an HID kit for the SV from these folks - www.hids4u.co.uk - for 40% off, so £60 for full dip/main beams, they seem to know what they're on about but has anyone here used them?

Worth doing? i don't ride much at night but intend to take the SV further and longer afield in the coming months, might do it for the bling factor
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 11:41 AM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: HID lighting

How did you manage to get that discount? can anyone else get it? So have you shelved the plan to sell the SV?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 11:50 AM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Bite their hand off at £60 because it's £150 for 2 x H4s on their website (which inspires a lot more confidence than any ebay one) & get me 2 sets while you're at it
Old 20-06-08, 12:04 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
How did you manage to get that discount? can anyone else get it? So have you shelved the plan to sell the SV?
SV is staying, the KTM is a racetrack / sunny summer's day bike and the DRZ is a nice run around but it's impossible to go on rideouts with a 75m tank range, zero wind protection, no practicalities and higher speed performance to rip the skin off a rice pudding. i'll probably get some off-road wheels and try some green laning with it. Hopefulyl going to try touring a bit more on the SV

Anyway, you can get the 40% discount on ANYTHING if you enter the coupon code "strathy" at the checkout, was supposed to be until the end of April but i just confirmed my order and it seems to have gone through fine
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 02:10 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

cool, but how did you get it to £99 in the first place as I can only see 2 x H4s in the bike section for £149
Old 20-06-08, 02:46 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

This one maybe?

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/store/produc...&cat=44&page=1

Single beam I think.

I used a HIDS Direct kit rather than HIDS 4 U, but to be honest they're all much of a muchness. I'm still very pleased with mine, though I had to revert to just using one because of old damage to my left hand headlight (it doesn't adjust left-right properly, it's fine with halogens but the HID was shining off to the right too much) One HID'd headlight is better than 2 Osram Nightbreaker halogens though.

Usually at this point someone who's not tried it will link Daniel Stern's website and point out that the reflector's not designed for HIDs, and that's completely true but that's a general concern, some reflectors still work decently and safely and the curvy SV's one of those. Though it's probably very inefficient, it has some hot and cold spots which is pretty ugly but still effective. Even the cold spots are brighter than with teh nightbreakers, they're only dark by contrast.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 02:53 PM   #7
nakedblue650

Please allow me to share my general ignorance with you. But what are these...........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=006

I brought some and they are indeed v.bright but am I in danger of messing something up - please advise!

nb650
Old 20-06-08, 03:23 PM   #8
suzsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedblue650 View Post
Please allow me to share my general ignorance with you. But what are these...........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=006

I brought some and they are indeed v.bright but am I in danger of messing something up - please advise!

nb650
not as bright as HIDs buddy!
Old 20-06-08, 03:23 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Those are just bulbs, with HID randomly added to the title to make them seem impressive If they're "hid look" they've probably got a tint or filter on which actually makes them less bright, not more (it's ironic this, the bluer the light on a HID the less effective it actually is to drive by... But that's the "HID look" so people choose stupidly high temp lamps to get that blue/purple look. And THEN, people get tinted conventional bulbs to emulate that inefficient lighting effect )

But don't worry, as long as they work they should be fine. They'll probably be a wee bit less effective than really good bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers, but then they were cheap.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 20-06-08 at 03:26 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 03:27 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah get fairly cold coloured HID's, they work better. I think mine's 6k but 4.3k would have been better in retrospect.

They work very well, no complaints in a standard K3 headlamp, except you have to cut the shell slightly at the back to make room for the dip mechanism cable exit.

There's some slight scatter going almost straight out to the side and upwards at maybe 1 o clock down to 4 o clock. Don't get flashed to dip anyway but they are set a little lower than standard to be sure of not blinding folk.