SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-08, 05:15 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Is it not possible to get the gear shifter off the footpeg assembly?

My shifter was jammed up with years of riding and neglect, so was making gear changing interesting to say the least. Had to adopt a sort of put it into gear then manually return to position for next shift technique, so finally got around to getting it loosened up this weekend.

I took the "rearset" off and detached the footpeg bit from the hanger, but the lever didn't want to come off the footpeg. Fortunately it matters not, as I got it all moving nice n free with plenty of lube, but I just wondered whether it was possible to get it off? Or is it some sort of safety (aka p!ss annoyning) feature?

It would have been good to get it off, rub back some of the corosion and grease it up is all.

Jase
Old 17-08-08, 05:32 PM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is it not possible to get the gear shifter off the footpeg assembly?

It should certainly come off. Loads of WD40, plusgas or just soaked on paraffin.

Then once it's off, you have to try and remove the bushing without destroying it ....you can't buy it on it's own.

Then a good clean to remove all the crud and reassemble with plenty of grease.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 05:36 PM   #3
Jase22

Default Re: Is it not possible to get the gear shifter off the footpeg assembly?

Cheers Ben, might have another pop later. The bush looked a bit ropey as it was, so probably a good job I didn't get it off.

While the spraying with WD and loosening fluid loosened up the mechanism, the lever wasn't coming off so I just popped it back on for now. I'll take up the challenge when I've next got some free time I think!

I'm not surprised you can't buy the bush separate though. Typical eh?
Old 17-08-08, 06:15 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
Cheers Ben, might have another pop later. The bush looked a bit ropey as it was, so probably a good job I didn't get it off.

While the spraying with WD and loosening fluid loosened up the mechanism, the lever wasn't coming off so I just popped it back on for now. I'll take up the challenge when I've next got some free time I think!

I'm not surprised you can't buy the bush separate though. Typical eh?
Yup that's normal...with so much crap between the bushing and the lever .

Loads or wriggling and pulling will see it come off eventually.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote