SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-08, 10:21 PM   #1
jaromic

Angry Removing Warning stickers

Hi guys, just thought i'd ask if any of you have any magical substances for removing the warning stickers on a new bike. Got my sk8 in june & finally got round to pulling off the stickers last night, well pulling bits off them. After an hour and a lot of picking & pulling i finally got one off the fairing, nearly pulled the fairing off in the process. Had a go at the one on the tank & gave up after 10 minutes. There has to be an easy way to get them off, any tips would be much appreciated before i loose my sanity
Old 21-08-08, 10:22 PM   #2
jaffacakes

Default Re: Removing Warning stickers

wd40? or a hairdryer? not sure though. Think the hair dryer is the correct answer
Old 21-08-08, 10:24 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Make sure the bike is cold.

Then take a rag and soak it in some petrol, gently rub the rag over the sticker and wait a few minutes for the petrol to soak in. Then keep rubbing at it with the rag and you should find the petrol dissolves the sticker and you can just peel it away.

It helps if you can peel off the translucent layer off the top before you start with the petrol though.

Thats how I got mine off took about 10 - 15 minutes.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-08, 10:25 PM   #4
monkey

Get 'em nice and warm with a hairdryer and pull slowly. They'll be off in no time. To get any residue off (I doubt there will be any) try some paraffin. It's also bloomin GREAT at getting chain lube off anything. Bear in mind it is oily so would also need wiping off afterwards.

HTH
Old 21-08-08, 10:32 PM   #5
jaromic

Cheers for the tips guys i'll give that a try. I'm sure my neighbours will appreciate it too, means there wont be as much swearing coming from my shed
Old 22-08-08, 08:00 AM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

There's loads of posts on this if you do a search...I took my stickers off last weekend (had the bike since beginning of July).

The easiest (and most painfree way) by far is to:-

- Boil the kettle
- Pour some water (out of the kettle obviously!) onto a sticker
- Lift one corner, then keep gently pulling back on that corner whilst dribbling more hot water on the area you are pulling back.

This gets the stickers off no problem, however I think I did struggle with the one on the tank, which seems to have more adhesive on it and may even be a different type of sticker.

Anyway, I managed to get it off after a few mins but there was quite a bit of adhesive residue on the tank. If you spray a small amount of WD40 either directly onto the glue or onto a rag, it rubs off dead easy.

I'd say good luck, but you won't need it because it's dead easy if you follow the steps above.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-08, 08:03 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

You do know its an MOT faliure right?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-08, 08:41 AM   #8
Dappa D

have u done it yet??....

this took about 10 mins if that....
hold hairdryer to the sticker....push sticker off with a soft wooden spoon whilst keeping the hair dryer on it....
dip a rag in ur fuel tank to get a bit of petrol on it and wipe of the sticky residue that may be left over....
done....

but as viney says its an MOT failure and if the police see it without the stickers on they take it away and crush it.......

done....
Old 22-08-08, 08:43 AM   #9
Tomtoms

i bought my bike without stickers on. and it was MOTed 2 days before i bought it and............................................... ........

it passed!!!
Old 22-08-08, 08:50 AM   #10
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtoms View Post
i bought my bike without stickers on. and it was MOTed 2 days before i bought it and............................................... ........

it passed!!!

lol.....yes tomtoms....think the humour may have been lost on ya mate!!