SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-08, 06:29 AM   #1
Baph

Default Calling all geeks...

Right then fountain of wisdom otherwise known as the .Org... a problem...

I'm looking to embed videos into a website (ala YouTube and Google Video), and I can do this easily with JW FLV. However, the clients want to record in MPEG4 (raw too), and don't want the hassle of converting before upload (why did I take this job on again?).

So, do any of you know anything like JW FLV that will allow me to playback in a format other than FLV (lets face it, FLV looses a fair bit of quality)? I can handle the conversion to almost any format other than FLV.

Alternatively, do any of you know a way to convert from AVI/MP4 to FLV on a Linux command line (note, it's specific to CLI for a reason)?

Adeally, a free solution without watermarks would be excellent, but I realise that I'm asking for rocking horse poo laid by the golden goose there. So I'd welcome solutions that cost, but I'd need opinions from folks that have used them too. That way I can properly evaluate before I turn around & slap the client with a bill (and eat into my own profits).

Cheers in advance. I'm not expecting answers, just hoping.
Old 25-09-08, 08:10 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Calling all geeks...

All I can say is good luck, they don't want much do they.
Old 25-09-08, 08:49 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

how about looking at ffmpeg
Old 25-09-08, 09:15 AM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Right then fountain of wisdom otherwise known as the .Org... a problem...

I'm looking to embed videos into a website (ala YouTube and Google Video), and I can do this easily with JW FLV. However, the clients want to record in MPEG4 (raw too), and don't want the hassle of converting before upload (why did I take this job on again?).

So, do any of you know anything like JW FLV that will allow me to playback in a format other than FLV (lets face it, FLV looses a fair bit of quality)? I can handle the conversion to almost any format other than FLV.

Alternatively, do any of you know a way to convert from AVI/MP4 to FLV on a Linux command line (note, it's specific to CLI for a reason)?

Adeally, a free solution without watermarks would be excellent, but I realise that I'm asking for rocking horse poo laid by the golden goose there. So I'd welcome solutions that cost, but I'd need opinions from folks that have used them too. That way I can properly evaluate before I turn around & slap the client with a bill (and eat into my own profits).

Cheers in advance. I'm not expecting answers, just hoping.
VLC is your buddy here

When I get a chance to play I will look into it forther - you could start here tho

http://wiki.videolan.org/Flv

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 09:32 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

I think the issue with VLC is getting people to install apps/codecs etc. on their windoze platforms. In many corporate environment etc. they like to tie down the desktop and have a limited approved apps.

even doing it as a plugin or applet is likely to cause problems with software installation policies. Most accept flash. Even though many hate it. Especially those 100% flash sites. Perhaps it is easier to convert all output to a single form, than to manage multiple formats

Last edited by timwilky; 25-09-08 at 09:36 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 09:43 AM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

You misunderstand Tim

You can use VLC to transcode to file using the CLI - I even found a page with a PERL script to batch convert.

VLC is great, but its not, as you say, something you should need to have installed to view web content.

The link I posted was instructions on how to stream a file as a FLV stream which any Flash player should be able to connect to - not what Baph wants, but a pointer in the direction and proof that VLC can do FLV

Old 25-09-08, 10:00 AM   #7
Raf

Stop hassling and flaffing. JW FLV will use MP4 files directly if the video was encoded using H.264, so there is no need for conversion or anything if the source was created correctly. And what does you client mean by encoding MPEG4 raw!? The video or audio? MPEG4 part 2 or MPEG4 part 10 (you will want this one for minimum hassle)?
Old 25-09-08, 10:20 AM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Stop hassling and flaffing. JW FLV will use MP4 files directly if the video was encoded using H.264, so there is no need for conversion or anything if the source was created correctly. And what does you client mean by encoding MPEG4 raw!? The video or audio? MPEG4 part 2 or MPEG4 part 10 (you will want this one for minimum hassle)?
Stop over simplifying............

In the real world, you can guarantee that if 90% of all MP4 files should work, only 10% will.

The keywords in your response are "if the source was created correctly".

If you are looking to automate - like it looks like Baph is, the only way to do this is to assume that every file is not correct, and process them all.

If you believe that you cannot make the system 100% idiot proof (and idiots are VERY clever at finding ways of breaking things) then have the system correct their errors.

Old 25-09-08, 10:52 AM   #9
stewie

He,s absolutely right you know and I think I may be able to offer some help as well, just need to know first whether the vieos, are VHS or Betamax ?.....

Ill get me coat.............................................. .............................
Old 25-09-08, 01:09 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
how about looking at ffmpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Combined, I could kiss you both!!

Just the ticket, use ffmpeg with VLC to stream, then point JW FLV at the stream VLC is offering. Might get a little processor intensive with loads of users wanting different streams, but I'll cross that bridge when I build it.

For the processor power, the client can foot the bill for a better server.

EDIT: Stewie, modern day equivalent, but Betamax.