SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-08, 10:09 AM   #1
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Autocom?

It seems that Autocom systems are one of the best if you have to listen to your pillion.

There are lots of sets available on fleabay for half-price (various sellers), any ideas why?

Have they always been available so cheaply from fleabay sellers, are/have they gone bump, is a new range due out, etc etc?

Looking to get a set but don't want to be lumbered with not being able to get spares etc.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 10:17 AM   #2
darylB

Default Re: Autocom?

Ebay have been having a half price sale as they do almost every year, i think it only lasts while dealers have stock and is due to end soon, spares shouldn't be a problem so if you need one i'd go for it.

Daryl.
Old 14-10-08, 10:19 AM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Cheers Daryl!
Old 14-10-08, 11:15 AM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I bought a duo 200 set from ebay (chainspeed) at £100 - About half price. Not a problem, was here in a couple of days and deffo genuine brand new item.
Took it out last night for first run with pillion. Takes a bit of getting used to, and the wind noise in the helmets does trigger it at high speeds, but I so wish we had it over the summer, its a brilliant gadget.
Although I didn't investigate, there are bluetooth devices for helmets appearing on the market - for simple comms to the passenger it would be a more elegant solution if it works as well.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 11:22 AM   #5
VolatileParsley

The missus and I use Autocom units for bike to bike comms. They are excellent (partnered with the right radios). We used to use the cheaper Motorola radios, they were ok but when one died on us we replaced them with the Kenwood units which are worlds better.

I think the reason the Autocom units are currently half price is that Autocom are selling off the current stock due to re-vamping the range so you can either pick up a bargain or wait for the possibly superior units to arrive.
Old 14-10-08, 01:06 PM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Thanks for all the replies, budget dictates so whilst I'd like a bluetooth setup or even the newer autocom units, looks like the current 'sale' is a safe bet.

Cheers peeps!
Old 14-10-08, 04:35 PM   #7
TEC

Just don't buy anything that is 5pin, thats really old and spare leads/headsets may be hard to get, Autocom went 7pin some years back
Old 14-10-08, 05:08 PM   #8
john2811

One word of warning, (Autocom confirmed) the standard headsets and near impossible to fit with comfort in the latest Shoei Helmets. The wife moaned like XXXX.

I bought 2 bike to bike set ups for Mrs T-H and myself (Super Pro AVI and Kenwood radios TK3201) and have had no joy in getting them working reliably with our Shoei's even with in-ear bud type headphones. I know they will work, but we'll both need to pop down to Warwick to get some support from Autocom HQ and haven't had the time yet. Luckily its only 30 miles away.
Old 14-10-08, 05:37 PM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2811 View Post
One word of warning, (Autocom confirmed) the standard headsets and near impossible to fit with comfort in the latest Shoei Helmets.
Seconded. I started a thread about this the other week. Have to wear a balaclava to compress my ears to get the helmet on. Glad its not just me.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 05:40 PM   #10
shonadoll

Does anyone know what set you'd need to buy to do bike to bike rather than bike to pillion, or if they even make them?

A friend said she had some, but they cost about £800!