SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-08, 12:49 PM   #1
Marc2380

Unhappy Cutting out when cold?

Hi... First post on here, wonder if anyone has any ideas on what this could be... any help greatly appreciated!

Some background...

I've got a 650, 05 plate, 12000 miles, it's my first bike and I purchased it from Dobles in Surrey around June this year after passing my test. It's only had one previous owner, has full service history and the guy that owned it before me worked in the showroom from Dobles where I purchased it.

I've fallen in love with it - steep learning curve but i've been riding it rain or shine, practically every day with no problems until now.....

Basically when I start up from cold it ticks over REALLY slow and sometimes just dies, I have to hold the revs on till the temp builds up above 30 ish then it will tick over (albeit sounding like it's "labouring" or about to die). If I ride off before the temperature reaches about 45/50 degrees the bike dies when I pull the clutch in and slow down at junctions etc.

The bikes got a 33bhp restrictor fitted.. the Fi international type, not the ECU one if that makes any difference.

Any help/pointers/advice...? Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n729785926_1174768_7779.jpg (68.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 15-11-08, 02:42 PM   #2
suzsv650

Default Re: Cutting out when cold...?

You need a new battery
Old 15-11-08, 02:56 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Theres a temp sensor which richens the fuel mixture when cold on a fuel injection system.If that is faulty it will run lean until warmed up?Could be that?
Old 15-11-08, 04:13 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

What are the engine RPM on idle. I've had this before with the idle speed to low it would cut out when the bike was cold.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-08, 06:52 PM   #5
suzsv650

Default Re: Cutting out when cold?

I have similar probs with my R6 atm it needs a new battery and for 30 its a good starting point...
Old 16-11-08, 01:31 AM   #6
Marc2380

Cool... Thanks for the replys!

Just got home from work and had to sit in the yard before I left to come home waiting for it to warm up... grrrrr!

It idles at just over 1000 revs when you first start up - but when cold it gets steadily less and starts "chugging" till it dies. Not sure what it should tick over at?

i'll try the battery tomorrow, then if that doesn't work i'll try the sensor and see what happens from there....

Thank you!
Old 16-11-08, 08:45 AM   #7
steveg

sounds like ur tickover is too low set to 1300rpm (+ or -100 rpm) , set mine to 1400 rpm at tickover .

just make sure u set tickover when bike is warm , go out for a fine and then adjust

cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 10:33 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I'd suggest as above your idle speed is to low. Turn it up to around the 1400rpm mark and it should solve your problem.

I wouldnt go shelling out for a new battery just yet, but the sensor is worth checking out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 07:14 PM   #9
New Leaf

as above - mine did this after it had been in for a service and the mechanic had set the idle to 1000 rpm. i changed it to 13-1400 and it ran fine after that.