SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-08, 11:06 PM   #1
ricky

Default sprocket and chain Q

right from this pic would you say the chain and sprocket need to be replaced

reason im asking is im getting the tyres done and im not clued up on the chain side of it, so would rather ask than risk it.

your comments please
Old 25-11-08, 11:12 PM   #2
pencil shavings

Default Re: sprocket and chain Q

the sprocket is out of focus, so i cant really tell if thats ok, but it looks good still.
chain - how often/much is it being adjusted? that should tell you if you need a new one (do sprockets at the same time as chain if it needs doing)

if you are adjusting it every 100 miles / more often its probably best to change it.

A well maintained chain and sprockets should last longer than your average set of tyres anyway, so no need to use them as a benchmark.

HTH
Old 25-11-08, 11:12 PM   #3
sv_rory

I was just about to start a thread on this as earlier b4 i went hospital i noticed my chain was so loose you can lift it off the sprocket.

where can i buy a really nice good quality gold chain?
Old 25-11-08, 11:23 PM   #4
ricky

cheers, sorry for the **** pic it was something i thought of just a min ago and took a pic in the dark ops

the chain, not had to adjust it in 2k miles since i have moved, tbh last time i had to adjust it was not long after getting the bike
Old 25-11-08, 11:27 PM   #5
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
cheers, sorry for the **** pic it was something i thought of just a min ago and took a pic in the dark ops

the chain, not had to adjust it in 2k miles since i have moved, tbh last time i had to adjust it was not long after getting the bike
should be fine then, the teeth on the sprocket look ok, and as long as the chain has been maintained right, sounds like it is fine
Old 25-11-08, 11:29 PM   #6
ricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
should be fine then, the teeth on the sprocket look ok, and as long as the chain has been maintained right, sounds like it is fine

oiled every week which is about 200 miles, dont get much choice the dam thing makes too many mouse noises if i dont pmsl

the thing that gets me is the bike has full service history but its stamp book only so dont tell me what millage the chain was done etc and being on 24k on the clocks i dont think its the original
Old 25-11-08, 11:38 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_rory View Post
I was just about to start a thread on this as earlier b4 i went hospital i noticed my chain was so loose you can lift it off the sprocket.

where can i buy a really nice good quality gold chain?
That is the only test to see whether you need to replace C&S how much you can pull it off the sprocket. Looking for hooked teeth is a waste of time.

Buy it off ebay - go by the name if you recognise it should be OK like Tsubaki or SSS etc.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-08, 03:24 AM   #8
Zokambaa

I'd give it a good cleaning with some kerosene and check the chain to see if the links move smoothly or of they are binding or kinked... the sprocketdoesn't appear hooked yet.. but it is worn.. any idea what the front one looks like??? Also if you look from the top down at the teeth.. are there nice divots in the side? if that is the case.. toss em now ... same thing.. if it is squeeking a lot on the chain enough to be annoying the toss it now...

I'd get a good xring chain and replace those sprockets (I liked 15f/46r as far as ratio of teeth front/rear) it was still OK on the highway but better in town than stock 15f/44r on my ols sv650s

I's a good idea to swap front/rear sprockets and the chain all at the same time.... I tend to do my tires (or at least rear) around the same time too... it saves a bit on shop labour rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
right from this pic would you say the chain and sprocket need to be replaced

reason im asking is im getting the tyres done and im not clued up on the chain side of it, so would rather ask than risk it.

your comments please
Zokambaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-08, 11:43 AM   #9
sv_rory

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...82f502ff122247

is this chain and sprockets set any good? i want a gold chain, mostly for looks but i want one thats good.

also is that ok price wise?
Old 26-11-08, 11:56 AM   #10
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I have Tsubakis on both bikes. One gold, one dullard, and the plating on the gold one is falling off everywhere. Usually use AFAM. No quality probs.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote