SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-08, 04:18 PM   #1
Magnum

Default How much protection do crash bungs offer?

I'm getting my bike soon and i will definitely be getting crash bungs.

In a less than ideal scenario, and quite a likely one is that i drop the bike or have a low speed off, how much damage will the bike sustain and how much will it cost to repair? I assume mirrors, bar ends and footpegs?
Old 30-12-08, 04:21 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: How much protection do crash bungs offer?

crash bungs are a must but there not a miricle cure, you'll still get damage but your bike may still be rideable in a low speed off, all depends on the "off" too.
Old 30-12-08, 04:22 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Get a decent set and the will let the bike slide down the road rather than tumble, thus saving quick a lot in the long run. However there is a limit to what crash bungs can save, and most of that is down to fate.....

Personally I would get a set of Motosliders, either from Nate at Motosliders or from Blair at SV Racing Parts.

As for the R&G's the shape of the bung and the strength of the bolt are the two main weakness' to the design. When you over come these two issues, a few more come to light which is why I do not recommend them especially as an engineer at R&G will agree that it is a flawed design.

A crash bung will not stop all damage, but 90% of accidents I would say that a decent crash bung would keep the repair costs down and possibly saved a few write offs.

Old 30-12-08, 04:29 PM   #4
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

My bike was blown/pushed over recently and the only damage was a bit of a dent in the (R&G) crash bung. Granted the bike was covered with an Oxford Stormex cover as well (which undoubtedly prevented scratches to the exhaust etc), however if it wasn't for the crash bung, I reckon I'd have been looking at new rh side fairings and some other bits and bobs which would have cost WAY more than the crash bungs themselves.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 11:11 PM   #5
glade

I've had a 30mph colision. Bike landed on R&G and pivoted. lost front brake lever and rear brake/footpeg assembly. Exhaust was scraped but all the plastics were OK.

R&G bungs.
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 11:28 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Not much - particularly not if they're R&G.

They're all a fudge at best, if you're lucky it won't break too much when it falls over or you have very low speed spill, but ultimately you're in the lap of the gods.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-08, 12:17 AM   #7
Smoggy

After a low speed off, about 10 mph... Infact I jumped off it before the bike fell over, the only damage was a scraped R&G bung and a tiny bit on the underside of the can.
Old 31-12-08, 01:16 AM   #8
Foxy

Pretty good if you don't fall down steps
Old 31-12-08, 01:37 AM   #9
MattCollins

Crash bungs? First I heard of them was yesterday, but I had noticed the plasticy looking things sticking out of the sides of few bikes here. Didn't figure out what they were until today.

I would say that the bike is already down. :0

Attitude, awareness, training, experience....

Cheers

Matt
Old 31-12-08, 01:40 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

I think they're a good idea even if they won't save anything in an off at any significant speed.

A lot of folks put a bike down at very low speeds, a friend of mine stumbled pulling into his driveway, couldn't hold the SVS up and so let it down gently on the right side bung. All that happened was the indicator lens popped off and a minimal stone mark on the front corner of the can (polished out). It would have been disproportionately expensive if the plastics had gone onto the drive.

The bungs were custom made ones from alum+Delrin, and he just skimmed the scuffed end of the Delrin in the lathe and all was perfect again.

Consider it like extra insurance, pay up and forget it.