SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-09, 06:14 PM   #1
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Redundancy - my rights?

What a jolly ****ing start to 2009, my first living memory of 2009 is someone nutting me and running off - I should've guessed that was a bad omen. We got the dreaded email of death today 'A letter from the managing director'.

It was basically to the affect of
'since things are bad at the moment we aren't making enough (apart from taking on a 30 year old suited bloke with a beamer in sales yesterday) so want to bin all the scrotes that we don't make enough of a margin on. You'll be fired asap'

I work for a small private company who do IT, sales makes the big bucks but we turn over by repairing machines for manufacturers under their warranty and general day to day repairs + going out serving support to schools and businesses in the area (my job). Be it being their inhouse support for so many days a week or trouble shooting their network etc. However recently I've been plonked on a morning a week at a school that the boss hates having the contract for, he's been having a go at me all week for no reason, for example parking on a yellow line (in my own car).

My main question is how does this redundancy thing go? I've been there a bit less than a year. What am I supposed to do or say when I get called in? A colleague recommended not to stab.

Any help .org?
Old 07-01-09, 06:31 PM   #2
Thingus

Default Re: Redundancy - my rights?

Sorry i don't know the rights. But if you've only been there less than a year i'd be wary if/when you go in.
Know your rights but don't shout them all over.
Two people who have been at my place for about 10 months, contracted and full/part time, were let go with no notice and one weeks pay last week. If that can happen here, (within a global wholesale company) then i'm sure it could happen there.

Sorry to hear all that bud, good luck an' all.
Old 07-01-09, 06:36 PM   #3
ThEGr33k

Ah carp. Sorry to hear about your plight!

I cant help with your main question unfortunatly... Keep me/us upto date on how it goes with finding another job as when I come out of the RAF near the end of this year its a similar job field ill be coming out into! So id like to see what chances of getting jobs ill get.
Old 07-01-09, 06:49 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
What a jolly ****ing start to 2009, my first living memory of 2009 is someone nutting me and running off - I should've guessed that was a bad omen. We got the dreaded email of death today 'A letter from the managing director'.

It was basically to the affect of
'since things are bad at the moment we aren't making enough (apart from taking on a 30 year old suited bloke with a beamer in sales yesterday) so want to bin all the scrotes that we don't make enough of a margin on. You'll be fired asap'

I work for a small private company who do IT, sales makes the big bucks but we turn over by repairing machines for manufacturers under their warranty and general day to day repairs + going out serving support to schools and businesses in the area (my job). Be it being their inhouse support for so many days a week or trouble shooting their network etc. However recently I've been plonked on a morning a week at a school that the boss hates having the contract for, he's been having a go at me all week for no reason, for example parking on a yellow line (in my own car).

My main question is how does this redundancy thing go? I've been there a bit less than a year. What am I supposed to do or say when I get called in? A colleague recommended not to stab.

Any help .org?
Tons of stuff here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...rJob/index.htm

However, under a year, you are entilted to basicaly nothing. They could say to you, dont come in tomorrow and there would be nothing you can do about it. Employment law really kicks in after 12 months full service.
Check out the website and you should be able to find the answers you are looking for.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 06:49 PM   #5
jamesterror

Hi,

I'm new here but this is what the law stats, under Employement Rights Act 1996 - "You must generally have at least two years continuous service with your employer to qualify for a payment."

Link;

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/empl...gth_of_service
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 07:12 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Cheers for your comments guys.
I've looked at the links but as already stated it looks like a case of 'what rights?'
Old 07-01-09, 07:14 PM   #7
shonadoll

I'm sorry, that's crap news. I hope they at least give you some sort of pay out.
Old 07-01-09, 07:36 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonadoll View Post
I'm sorry, that's crap news. I hope they at least give you some sort of pay out.
It's not looking likely Ho hum hopefully find something, if not then it may be a case of selling my vehicles and setting sail to find a job further afield.
Old 07-01-09, 08:07 PM   #9
Thingus

Phone citizens advice? Suppose that's what they're there for, amongst other things.
Old 07-01-09, 08:14 PM   #10
seedy100

I went through this about a year ago.
****e times Iam afraid.

One of the best places to go for info is about your rights is ACAS

www.acas.org.uk

Read as much as you can from their advice to EMPLOYERS as well as that to employees (you will see the advice that they are getting).

You should also be able to talk to an Acas advisor, but I guess they may be a bit busy at the moment!

Good luck