SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 28-01-09, 10:30 AM   #1
Ed

Default Barmouth or Bust - Saturday 4 April

Thought it would be a good idea to open up a separate thread now.

Leaving Telford Services J4 M54 at 9.30am, heading via the old A5 to Shrewsbury and collecting at Shrewsbury Services (junction A49/A5) at 10am. Route is below. Please note that it is not yet finalised!! In particular, on reflection the rather long way round through Wem and Whitchurch is likely to change such that we go (from S'bury Services) round the S'bury by pass to the A49/A53 roundabout, take second exit (Battlefield Link Road) to the A528 and turn right onto the A528 direct to Ellesmere. The A528 looks straight but it most definitely isn't! This will save about 30 - 40 mins - it's a long enough ride as it is and I'm just a bit concerned that the timings will go haywire and people will get tired if we try to do too much. However the clocks go forward the weekend before, so there will be plenty of daylight and we should be back in S'bury (the end is my house - open invite for tea & cake) around tea time.

I will find a day to recce the route in full and put up some more detailed timings, but basically we're headed for the Ponderosa via Ellesmere, Ruabon and Llangollen. Then on to Dolgellau and Barmouth via the south side of Bala lake - this avoids going into Bala altogether - a good thing I think - and I suggest that as the police can be fairly sensitive that we trip round it in small groups and regroup at the western end.

I know that there will be some new riders coming and that for some this will be their first rideout. Please rest assured that it is not a race and you will not feel intimidated - it will be a moderate pace, with plenty of fuel/coffee/smoke stops, and it will be marked so you won't get lost. Normal org rideout rules will apply.

Coming from a distance? DarylB and Beverley (who live a few miles away from the Shrewsbury start) have kindly volunteered to accommodate. Also, whilst not exactly ideal, my old office is empty and I'd very happily let people kip in there - I can provide a sleeping bag or two. Downside is - (a) no shower, and (b) it's town centre, not ideal to park up a bike right outside overnight but I know a town centre resident who I'm sure would let us use his back garden which is secure.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be TEC then that would be very helpful.

Google map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...25&ie=UTF8&z=9

Finally a note on the weather. Rain will NOT stop play. OK?

More follows as soon as I can do the recce.

Ed

It would be helpful to have an idea of how many bikes to expect. Cut and paste and add:

1. Ed
Old 28-01-09, 10:43 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Barmouth or Bust - Saturday 4 April

1. Ed
2. hovis (probably, although the start 1s over 100 miles away)
Old 28-01-09, 11:00 AM   #3
mister c
Mega Poster

If I'm not busy, then will be up for this. Dont put me down for it tho, I have got some irons in the fire that could be finallised by April.
I would meet up with you at Whitchurch - makes more sense than riding down to Shrewsbury via there to come back up again
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 11:40 AM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

1. Ed
2. hovis (probably, although the start 1s over 100 miles away)
3. Mr Speirs (unless something drastic comes up)
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 11:48 AM   #5
AndyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I know that there will be some new riders coming and that for some this will be their first rideout. Please rest assured that it is not a race and you will not feel intimidated - it will be a moderate pace, with plenty of fuel/coffee/smoke stops, and it will be marked so you won't get lost. Normal org rideout rules will apply.
Sorry, but what are the normal org rideout rules
(This would be my first rideout )
Old 28-01-09, 12:05 PM   #6
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

All for one, one for all is the kind of jist as far as I understand it. 2nd marks junstions.
Markers at Junctions so no-one gets lost (doesn't move until he/she gets waved off by TEC). TEC bringing up the rear and helping out any incidents. No pressure for you to ride out of your comfort zone. 30 is 30, 40 is 40 everything else...fair game. Only pass on the right. Someone will be along to give you a definitive answers but that the general jist.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 12:12 PM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Sorry, but what are the normal org rideout rules
(This would be my first rideout )
Simple really...

1. Don't ride like a nob
2. Don't endanger others
3. Your bike must be insured - and restricted if appropriate
4. Ride at your own risk as there is no event insurance
5. Co-operate with the marking system - as else it breaks down and people will get lost

Think that's about it. I'm not into making rules for the sake of it, the aim is for everyone to get round and home in one piece.
Old 28-01-09, 12:23 PM   #8
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
If I'm not busy, then will be up for this. Dont put me down for it tho, I have got some irons in the fire that could be finallised by April.
I would meet up with you at Whitchurch - makes more sense than riding down to Shrewsbury via there to come back up again
Whitchurch joining would make sense for me too if its not a hassle for the rest.
Sounds like a good day out, Wouldn't like to fully commit but I would really like to come along (first rideout/meeting for me too)
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 12:32 PM   #9
madness

B*gger!, Me and Ibby (Mrs Madness) probably won't be able to make this one. We should be on our way to the south of France. but
Old 28-01-09, 01:18 PM   #10
AndyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
All for one, one for all is the kind of jist as far as I understand it. 2nd marks junstions.
Markers at Junctions so no-one gets lost (doesn't move until he/she gets waved off by TEC).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Simple really...
5. Co-operate with the marking system - as else it breaks down and people will get lost
What is the TEC? and what is the marking system?

Cheers

Andy