SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 24-02-09, 11:08 AM   #1
haggis

Default Applecross Double Dash

After a few major changes from the proposed route in the other thread, this is the revised plans for May 23/24/25th based in Applecross.

DAY 1: Skye
Fort William - Group meet up, probably about 11am. Fuel-up.

Head to Mallaig via Glenfinnan in time for the ferry @ 13:45 (13:15 check-in). We should have plenty time to get lunch in Mallaig at noon-ish.

From Armadale @ 14:15 head round a loop of Skye; Broadford (fuel)-Sligachan-Dunvegan-Portree-Kyle of Lochalsh (fuel)
Then Lochcarron and onto Applecross via the Bealach.

The reason I've altered this day's route is that it's easier to catch the ferry times at the beginning of the first day than at the end of the second.

DAY 2: West coast run to Ullapool
From Applecross over the Bealach to Kinlochewe (fuel), Gairloch and onwards to Ullapool for lunch. Fuel-up.
Return will be through Garve, Kinlochewe (fuel) and Applecross via the coast road for a change.

DAY 3: Kintail and Fort Augustus
From Applecross over the Bealach to Lochcarron (fuel), Dornie (eilean Donan Castle stop maybe?), and onto Invergarry and then Fort Augustus for lunch. Fuel-up.

From here everyone picks their own route to continue the way home.

Maps to follow......

Last edited by haggis; 24-02-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 11:47 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Applecross Double Dash

Who would not like to take a bike on a road with a sign like this...........

STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 03:55 PM   #3
haggis

The list....

1. Haggis
3. Peterco
4. Johnny Wolfie
5.Pete
6.Lissa
7.Seggons
8.Kilted Ginger
9. Punyxpress
10. Combatfred & Mrs Combatfred

Last edited by Kilted Ginger; 27-05-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 01:12 PM   #4
Speedy Claire

My mate Rhino will be camping at the same place as you guys on the Saturday night... His names Rhino and he`ll probs be drooling over your bikes as he`s had to leave his at home. Lisa i`ve described you so if a shaven headed, weegie...heavily tatooed, with a lurcher and a silver golf estate says Hi its him
Old 14-05-09, 08:12 PM   #5
rhino..

Hi folks, i will indeed be in that neck of the woods on the sat.
heres hoping we all get the weather eh. thanks for the introduction speedy lol i promise all your bikes will be safe from drool.
seen a few familiar faces on the site so know im not the only non sv rider, curently got a minted mk1 1200 blandit. cheers rhino
Old 19-05-09, 06:15 PM   #6
Kilted Ginger

The Plan...

Pete, Lissa, Seggons, Punyxpress, Combatfred (&Mrs), Kilted Ginger, Peterco.
Meeting at Tyndrum 9am for a 9:30 Depart

Haggis.
Meet at Malaig 12ish for the ferry (6 bikes) 9 people

Amanda, Johnny Wolfie, Jimmy42376??
Meet at the campsite in the evening

Option as we are no longer meeting anyone at Ft William (unless the spearies man up) We do not have to do the A82. We can get the corran ferry and take the A861 west and round the coast to mallaig or north up round the south west of Loch eil.

Both of these routes are about 100 miles and 2.5 hours. Or we could stick with the original plan.

Fuel.. Fill up at Tyndrum, Info from Haggis is that next best fuel is Broadford, so thats 120 miles between fuel, everyone ok with that, if not we can still do ft william.

Opinions?

Last edited by Kilted Ginger; 19-05-09 at 07:46 PM.
Old 25-05-09, 03:29 PM   #7
haggis

Coopz, Johnny and me made it home safe, and for the first time (pretty much all weekend) dry riding weather. Big "Woohoo's" from Johnny for that, and a celebration lunge.

Many tales to be told I'm sure, as folk get home. Great company, most roads ridden were acceptable if you didn't suffer from vertigo and the food and drink was dutifully eaten and drunk with panache!

KG couldnt remember his passwd, so created the new account. I'll let him fill in the details of his weekend that ended on a low, never good that. Poor man, we all felt for him.

Non attendees - Guess again for the receiver of 3 points! You're well off the mark.

For the first time all weekend I, personally, am not going to queue for an hour and a half for a measly cold coffee and bacon roll whilst watching the rest of our group stuffing their faces. Only coz I'm raiding the fridge at home.

Big thankyoooou to all who attended for making this a fab rideout, despite bad luck seemingly following us as much as the rain clouds. Who cares, bring it on we say, new friends, old friends, good friends.

I'll start a dedicated thread in the photo section now....
Old 25-05-09, 04:47 PM   #8
Kilted Ginger

Everyones, fine.
I binned my bike, slow speed, slowing down and either snatched the brake or braked on loose chuckies or sheep poo or some such but the front end just washed away.
Nose shattered, crash bungs did their job.
Wasnt even hard or fast enough to snap bar ends or brake levers. mirrors and screen intact. Helmet scraped, gear did its job.
Rode back to the camp site, then recovery truck brought me home today.
I'll post more details etc later. bit of a scunner but walked away from it.
So anyone got a spare bikini fairing and headlight
Old 25-05-09, 05:43 PM   #9
petevtwin650

The remaining crew are ensconsed again at Strathfillan. Tumble drying all our wet gear, well,that which will tumble. So wet leathers for us tomorrow

Combatfred, Wendy and Peterco popped in for a cuppa before heading homeward. We've booked a cab to take us to the Tyndrum Lodge (£8 each way!) but sadly no carvery during the week.

Dukes discs looked odd, covered in slurry type substance, which turned out to be brake dust mixed with rain. On taking out the pads, they are down to the metal. Only done about 6k miles So easy on the brakes tomorrow.

Hope everybody got home Ok and had a nice hot shower

More to follow when we get home.
Old 25-05-09, 05:45 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

oh KG.. bad luck mate.. those offs are the worst cos you feel liek they cudda been avoided- you dont know what happenned and you wonder if it will happen again.. you be all fixed up for GM trip??

morover you are OK.. dont you get married in a few weeks?? imagine! pphheewww.