SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-03-09, 09:30 PM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Vista file sharing

Righto, I know computers but networks are still a headache for me...

Our house has two desktops (1 XP, 1 Vista) and three laptops (1 XP, 1 Vista) all connected to a wireless LAN and the internet by a router. I've set up file sharing between my desktop and laptop and that's working fine, but I want to go one step further

I want to share a folder on my desktop but only with my laptop, so that it's the only network user that can open it, edit it etc etc

Anyone know how to set this up with the minimum of fuss?
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-09, 09:33 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vista file sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Righto, I know computers but networks are still a headache for me...

Our house has two desktops (1 XP, 1 Vista) and three laptops (1 XP, 1 Vista) all connected to a wireless LAN and the internet by a router. I've set up file sharing between my desktop and laptop and that's working fine, but I want to go one step further

I want to share a folder on my desktop but only with my laptop, so that it's the only network user that can open it, edit it etc etc

Anyone know how to set this up with the minimum of fuss?
Thats a permissions thing

Set it up so that only a single user can access the folder in the sharing permissions, the log onto the desktop using that account.

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-09, 09:35 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Thats a permissions thing

Set it up so that only a single user can access the folder in the sharing permissions, the log onto the desktop using that account.
i briefly tried this

set up a separate account on the desktop, shared the folder to that user and then tried to logon from the laptop using the credentials of the new account and it didn't work...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 26-03-09, 09:43 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
i briefly tried this

set up a separate account on the desktop, shared the folder to that user and then tried to logon from the laptop using the credentials of the new account and it didn't work...
That's where you went wrong.

The permissions are set by computer (or domain if applicable) and user.

For example, I have a share setup on my laptop (downloaded movies), and if you are logged into a different computer within the techniumcast domain (work's wifi), then you can login with cast/cast (user/pass) & get read only access.

Where you want to share the file, click Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > Add... look at the "From Location" - set this to the computer that someone would be using to access the folder, then add the account permissions as normal.
Old 26-03-09, 09:49 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Where you want to share the file, click Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > Add... look at the "From Location" - set this to the computer that someone would be using to access the folder, then add the account permissions as normal.
works until i get to "from location" - the only option is the desktop computer, none of the other computers on the network appear at all in that window, or the "locations" window
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...