SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-09, 04:27 PM   #1
Jamie_SV

Default Clutch not disengaging

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 SV650s that i had an accident on last year. After getting it ready to go back on the road i now discover that my clutch wont disengage.

After searching here and playing with the adjustments, no matter how far in or out I screw the adjuster screw it still wont disengage.

Could this be something inside the clutch?
Old 04-04-09, 04:35 PM   #2
Rocket

Default Re: Clutch not disengaging

If it has been laid up for a while the plates might have stuck together. Try putting it in gear (higher the better), holding the back brake on and thumbing the starter. Might shock it loose
Old 04-04-09, 04:47 PM   #3
The Guru

• Make sure its in neutral.
  • Pull the clutch lever to the bar and cable tie it there.
  • Start bike and let it run for 20-25min to warm up.
  • After 20-25min try it and see.
Done the same with a bandit that my brother got off his mate. It had been in his mates garage for 3yrs without turning a wheel and had same problem.

We done this, knocked it into 1st gear and it didn't work, so we put back into neutral and left the cable tie on. The next night we started the bike and let if warm for 25min and tried it again... bingo! we had clutch movement.
Old 04-04-09, 06:05 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
If it has been laid up for a while the plates might have stuck together. Try putting it in gear (higher the better), holding the back brake on and thumbing the starter. Might shock it loose

Shock tactics to break it free are good,but not with the starter motor unless you fancy repairing the starter engaging mechanism.
Old 04-04-09, 06:54 PM   #5
Jamie_SV

Thanks guys, will give this a go later and let you know how it goes
Old 04-04-09, 06:57 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

My Gas Gas enduro bike does this all the time, I just start it in neutral, warm it up a bit then push it to get it rolling and drop it into gear. Once moving I just pull the clutch in and blip the throttle a few times, soon frees it off. Bit harder with a heavier bike like the SV but the principal should still work, just make sure it's a quiet road with not to much traffic about. If you can't push it fast enough to drop it into gear switch off once warm, put it into gear and thumb the starter, there should be enough umph in the starter to bump it forward and start the engine.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote