SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 11-06-09, 10:35 PM   #1
leesh00

Question where to live around doncaster?

There might be a possibility that I will be taking a transfer back up t'north with work as they are opening a new carshop megastore in doncaster around september time (you heard it here first ).Im originally from leeds area and dont know too much about that neck of the woods, I wouldnt mind travelling about 15 miles to work,with a preference to the north of doni to be a bit closer to leeds - but not essential as id be alot closer than what I am now.I have a familly so looking for somewhere fairly quite but within close distance for shopping and gym for the missus as she dont drive.

Cheers
Old 12-06-09, 06:37 AM   #2
madness

Default Re: where to live around doncaster?

The saying 'It's grim up north' relates to Doncaster. If I were you I'd teach the missus to drive and live somewhere out of town.
Old 12-06-09, 07:00 AM   #3
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
The saying 'It's grim up north' relates to Doncaster. If I were you I'd teach the missus to drive and live somewhere out of town.
+1. I used to work in Thorne. Don't live there!

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 08:23 AM   #4
AndyBrad

barnsley?
Old 12-06-09, 08:30 AM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Sheffield.
Doncaster's not a brilliant place apparently I have a few colleagues out there and they say living there's pretty much false economy in most areas as house & other insurance is soo high and there's a fair bit of crime. Although my mates just found a niceish bit and bought a house there. Other options are chesterfield and barnsley, barnsleys not as grim as people make out apparently :P there's also rotherham and surrounding areas too.
Old 12-06-09, 10:04 AM   #6
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesh00 View Post
There might be a possibility that I will be taking a transfer back up t'north with work as they are opening a new carshop megastore in doncaster around september time (you heard it here first ).Im originally from leeds area and dont know too much about that neck of the woods, I wouldnt mind travelling about 15 miles to work,with a preference to the north of doni to be a bit closer to leeds - but not essential as id be alot closer than what I am now.I have a familly so looking for somewhere fairly quite but within close distance for shopping and gym for the missus as she dont drive.

Cheers
To be a bit more helpful.... what sort of size place you looking for? Budget? rent or buy?

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 11:27 AM   #7
Stormspiel

Barnsley is quite nice dependant on where you go. Avoid Kendray, New Lodge & Athersley and the rest are decent areas with decent schools etc.

I'm originally from Hoyland and thats a great place to live but my family moved to Hemsworth nr Wakefield and i just haven't moved back. Wakefield isn't too bad with some nice areas and a few dodgy ones.

Theres also Upton (bit remote but near A1, 10 mins from donny centre). All depends what sort of house etc you'd be wanting like Gazza says
Old 12-06-09, 06:19 PM   #8
leesh00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
To be a bit more helpful.... what sort of size place you looking for? Budget? rent or buy?
Thanks for the advice so far all - I will be looking to rent 3 bed house for about £600 per month.
Old 16-06-09, 11:10 AM   #9
trickywoos

I've moved from the south (Surrey), to the outskirts of Swinton, near Rotherham, in the countryside- loving it!
Old 16-06-09, 12:43 PM   #10
Bluewolf

I'm staying in Doncaster just now but not planning on staying - not because the place is a dump but it's just a wee bit too far for a winter commute (aye, go on then, call me a big jessie )

From what I've seen so far: Cantley, Bessacarr and Bennethorpe are nice. My sister stays on a really nice new estate at the back of Balby (next to the 24hour Tesco) and the surrounding areas like Kirk Sandall and Finningley are pretty sweet too.