SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-09, 07:02 PM   #1
Specialone

Default 12v socket installation.

I have installed this 12v socket over the weekend, just thought i would post to show the end result.
Fitted it with a relay and it only works with ignition on so it doesnt flatten my battery.
Socket cost £4 off fleabay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_064.jpg (118.0 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by Specialone; 16-08-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 17-08-09, 08:03 AM   #2
Hawkie_Boy

Default Re: 12v socket installation

Job well done mate - looks really professional. Have you got the link to the ebay item?
Old 17-08-09, 05:02 PM   #3
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkie_Boy View Post
Job well done mate - looks really professional. Have you got the link to the ebay item?
Hi Mate,
Got it from a company called towzatronics, they also do them with some cable already attached.
Sorry about long link, cant remember how to do short links.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Wat...d=p3286.c0.m14

Phil
Old 17-08-09, 05:13 PM   #4
jacksuzukisv650

tidy little job
Old 17-08-09, 08:19 PM   #5
stevebetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Hi Mate,
Got it from a company called towzatronics, they also do them with some cable already attached.
Sorry about long link, cant remember how to do short links.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Wat...d=p3286.c0.m14

Phil
+1..... i installed the very same one some time ago!
Old 17-08-09, 08:30 PM   #6
ooger

Forgive me for being daft....but are you going to plug a satnav (e.g) charger into that and expect it to not vibrate itself loose at 70mph?

I liked the idea and look of it until I remembered how cumbersome most accessory plugs/chargers are.

Also - what if it rains while its in use? I'm considering one, but am leaning towards hiding it under the seat.

Otherwise - very good effort!

Apologies for being Mr Negative
Old 17-08-09, 08:55 PM   #7
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
Forgive me for being daft....but are you going to plug a satnav (e.g) charger into that and expect it to not vibrate itself loose at 70mph?

I liked the idea and look of it until I remembered how cumbersome most accessory plugs/chargers are.

Also - what if it rains while its in use? I'm considering one, but am leaning towards hiding it under the seat.

Otherwise - very good effort!

Apologies for being Mr Negative
I had the same thoughts when deciding what to do, the socket is waterproof when not in use so thats not a problem, i have done it for satnav mainly, but i hate rain and could just unplug the satnav if it does rain, satnav is not waterproof anyway

Also regarding the vibration, the same company supplies twist and lock 12v plugs to compliment this socket (which has twist and lock) so my plan was, try the standard plus and see how it goes and if it does vibrate loose i will replace it with a twist and lock plug.
Phil
Old 23-08-10, 12:15 AM   #8
dill89

Good thinking, got all bases covered , and looks very good.
I considered doing that too but I ended up just opting for under seat, purely because I don't want to have a cable out in the open when connected to the socket, no other reason really

And you say you fitted it with a relay... How do you do that exactly!? Mines still connected since my Spain trip at start of July, so coming to winter would be handy to have it turn off with ignition... Cheers

Last edited by dill89; 23-08-10 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 07:28 PM   #9
Thaleshwar

I too bought from Towzatronics; and wish to fit without the relay so that I can attached 'solar panel' to trickle charge the battery in winter months when bike stored away... as anyway IMHO socket will not drain the battery if nothing is left connected to it.

Installing on front fairing does not leave enough (good) space / clearance for the accessory plugged in...
Old 09-12-10, 08:30 PM   #10
graman

That socket is great. I fitted a cheap plated steel one and it vibrated itself to destruction after 50 miles and left a live wire and live part of socket floating about.