SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-09, 08:30 PM   #211
boot

Default Re: sv650 stripped and being cleaned/polished

Looking forward to it too - it should be an interesting day.
Old 26-09-09, 08:38 PM   #212
liamsimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
Looking forward to it too - it should be an interesting day.
interesting indeed!! Hope you don't mind you bike being in this thread?? might start another one as well between us to tell people how to do what we are doing tomorrow??
Old 26-09-09, 08:43 PM   #213
boot

Me mind? Not at all - too easy going mate. Think that would be a useful thread for the archives.

I must post the scottoiler pics - the t-piece turned up this morning, so me and the little-un fitted it this aft. After cleaning all the flick from yesterday's ride from my tyres!
Old 27-09-09, 06:44 PM   #214
boot

An interesting day it was.

All, I can tell you now, if you think this work looks good in the pictures, you won't believe how good it looks in the flesh. Really.

I'm still amazed.

Liam also made today's feat look at lot more effortless than it actually was.

Watch this space.
Old 27-09-09, 07:38 PM   #215
liamsimpson

right then!! well today was interesting to say the least, I started by greeting boot and his sv650s, then we had a coffee and weighed up today's challenge!! so first thing is first what was today's challenge you ask?? well for a while now i have wanted the sv650s but mine was too cheap to turn down, anyway i met this jolly nice guy (boot) through the forum, he wanted a naked sv650 for its more upright ride position. so we got talking i went over to see him and his machine and we decided to do a swap on the front ends and turned his sv650s in to an sv650 and visa versa, so today's progress involved me stripping my just re-built bike back down again and swapping the parts on to boots. so here is the progress step by step, so we started by removing all the fairings from boots. Unfortunately my image hosting website isn't working so can't upload my pictures i will continue as soon as i can upload the pictures
Old 27-09-09, 08:18 PM   #216
liamsimpson

finally got them to upload so first photo!!

then removed the lights and clocks

then we took the top yoke and bars off

then we discovered that the wiring loom on the 2 bikes are different so we had to change them over between the 2 bikes.

once we had discovered that we had to remove the wiring we also discovered that the cables for throttle clutch etc were to short so had to change them.
then the rebuild started, we put the polished!! top yoke with bars attached onto boots bike.

then we started to attach the light and wiring up. By the way re attaching the throttle cables are a complete B*@$%£D to do!! word off warning that's all!

Then the next step was to change the radiator over as the 2 are different (The s version has mounting point for fairing!

Then was to fit the radiator guard and refill the coolant and bleed the brakes! What a mess!!

Then with David Blanes help we managed to get all the wires into the tiny space that is the headlight!!!!

then I was left with this lot for mine!!

we cleaned his bike of brake fluid and crud left from the changeover, had another drink and said are fair wells, for now at least (watch this space for updates!!)

Sorry boot my crap photography ment the only shot i got of you going was blured!!
so i thought i would include this one of the finished product!

Right then i moved on to mine, which after taking boots apart was real easy
to put back together, first pic

as you can see mostly dismantled again, so again more polishing

recognise it boot??
then reconnected the cables wiring loom clutch and so on....

refitted the clocks and fairing carrier

and finally the lights and radiator

So all in all we achieved a fair bit today, if you are thinking of doing this yourself you need to allow a whole day as boots bike conversion took just over 6 hours alone, refitting the lights and clocks on mine took a further 1 hour so allow yourself a good amount of time. Anyway time for me to have a rest now i think and i will probably do a bit more this week so watch this space for more updates.
Also looking into paint this coming month so hopefully will be all painted by Christmas!!! Also would like to thank boot today for his parts and also a genuine nice guy!!
Old 27-09-09, 09:05 PM   #217
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Love the way the decking is being painted around the bikes lol
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-09, 09:10 PM   #218
liamsimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Love the way the decking is being painted around the bikes lol
yeah one of my many other not finished projects!!
Old 27-09-09, 09:21 PM   #219
boot

Cheers mate! Everyone's a winner!

This was no mean feat - I'm certain it would have taken much longer had you not the experience of full stripping and rebuilding your bike recently, and know for sure that it would have taken me, much, much longer.

Basically folks, this is one top guy! He didn't stop from start to finish and to my amazement, had the bike up and running as it should be with no hitches.

You'll see there are a few polished bits now on my bike - top yoke and light bracket. We'll see how well they weather with Mer, as I've a bottle in the shed that need using. I'm an all-weather year round commuter 1st and foremost on the bike, so there'll be no mercy with the new flashy bits from Liam.

Give us a shout if you want a spare pair of hands with any of the rest of it - including polishing

See you soon - I'll be back over that way to get V-Strom handguards before the cold kicks in, if not before

Boot
Old 27-09-09, 09:25 PM   #220
boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsimpson View Post

recognise it boot??
That's not the same part! Bloody amazing!