SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-09, 04:16 PM   #1
Bunks

Default oxford heated grips again!

Now guys and girls,

Can someone tell me what the problem with my new heated grips is?

I wired them up according to the guide on here posted by independentphoto:

http://www.independentphoto.co.uk/me...ngHotGrips.pdf

All seemed fine, worked on tick over and heated up on all four settings, didn't bother checking further and tidied up the wiring, then after it was all sorted struck up the bike and revved it up and the bloody things turn off when above about 5-6000 revs . Any idea what I've done wrong .

Nick
Old 18-10-09, 04:24 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: oxford heated grips again!

Could be a dodgy controller unit or could be a dodgy charging system (or something else). I have a similar issue and am in the process of trouble shooting, I started by putting a multimeter on the battery to see what readings I was getting a different revs. The controller units have a cut off if they detect less than 11v I think.
Old 18-10-09, 05:38 PM   #3
Bunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Could be a dodgy controller unit or could be a dodgy charging system (or something else). I have a similar issue and am in the process of trouble shooting, I started by putting a multimeter on the battery to see what readings I was getting a different revs. The controller units have a cut off if they detect less than 11v I think.

Oh ****, why can't things be simple!? I'll check and get report back tomorrow when it's light
Old 18-10-09, 05:54 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Hopefully I'm wrong! but nah stuff never seems to go simple I just know the controller units are a common weak point and as are the SV's regrecs
Old 19-10-09, 08:24 AM   #5
Alpinestarhero

I, and others, have experianced problems with the digital controller. If you email oxford products themselves and explain to them you want the older style analouge controller, they will send you one. They might even send it free if you can provide a receipt / proof of purchase for you stupid one.

Do check your battery is charging when the engine is running first, but I had my problems despite my charging circuit being in good order. I have an older analouge controller now, works brilliantly
Old 19-10-09, 07:14 PM   #6
Bunks

Ok,

I tested the battery today. The bike has been in the garage for about 2 weeks while I've been tinkering with it , gsxr front end, so not charging.

Put the multi meter on and it was at about 12.7.

Struck up the bike (started first time) and it went to 13.4, then revving it went up to 14.66 across the rev range. It didn't seem to matter how many revs it was at the figure was more or less constant.

So is this about right?

It definately didn't get anywhere near the 11 volts to trip the shut off on the grips.

Hope some one has an easy answer!
Old 19-10-09, 07:33 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

12.7 is right for a standing battery I believe, your readings look similar to mine however no one's answered my post
Old 19-10-09, 09:26 PM   #8
Philbo

Measurements look good. All your connections/connectors good and tight? Could be vibrations doing something when you rev... I'd guess at a dodgy controller though.

Try taking the measurements again but up at the connector supplying the controller. If possible leave the connectors in place, and just poke the meter probes in next to the wires on the controller side. Voltage still above 11Volts?

Try wiring straight to the battery, and see if you get the same problem. If the problem persists then it must be the controller.

Last edited by Philbo; 19-10-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 20-10-09, 10:49 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

Bunks, you have the same symptoms as I did. You can try wiring directly to the battery as others have suggested, but I have this set-up and i still didnt have working grips with the damned digital controller

The analouge one, however, has been superb.
Old 20-10-09, 11:54 AM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
Bunks, you have the same symptoms as I did. You can try wiring directly to the battery as others have suggested, but I have this set-up and i still didnt have working grips with the damned digital controller

The analouge one, however, has been superb.
My analogue one blew up and took out my ignition *grumbles*