SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-10, 02:28 PM   #1
Ally

Default FI light and high idle.

Hi all.

My 05 SV650S seems to be acting up and im not sure why. Its only happened since I started riding it after the winter and also since I have just removed the 33bhp restrictor from the throttle.

It seems to be when it hits approx 8 or 8 and a half thousand revs that the FI red warning light comes on and the bike stays at approx 3 thousand revs. I have to then push the accelerator grip the opposite way to calm the revs otherwise its hard to brake without coasting. However, if I pull over to the side of the road, turn the engine off then back on again, everything seems to be fine again. Seems only to happen when I gun it a bit in 5th or 6th gear.

Does anyone know why this is? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Ally
Old 03-04-10, 04:32 PM   #2
Spikenipple

Default Re: Has this ever happened to anyone?

Half of that doesn't make any sense. The bike is staying at 3k revs then you have to let go of the accelerator for the revs to go down again? Isn't that what happens on most bikes?

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:22 PM   #3
glang

Hiya, the fuel injection brain is detecting a problem and going into backup mode which sets the tickover to 3000rpm. The fault you have is obviously very temporary because when u turn off the ignition it resets the system (if it was still present the FI light wouldnt go off).
To identify the fault you have to put it in 'dealer mode' when its happened and without turning off the ignition - see Amanda's post thats running at the moment.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:50 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

1) get paperclip
2) take spare key
3) cause FI light to happen
4) pull over and keep bike running
5) lift rear seat
6) use said paperclip and put bike into dealer mode (jump spare white connector with rubber boot protector)
7) on display it will show a error code

when you have that then there is a list of error codes you can lookup
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 07:20 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
1) get paperclip
2) take spare key
3) cause FI light to happen
4) pull over and keep bike running
5) lift rear seat
6) use said paperclip and put bike into dealer mode (jump spare white connector with rubber boot protector)
7) on display it will show a error code

when you have that then there is a list of error codes you can lookup
Or, I'll bet you f'ed up taking the restriction out.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 12:27 AM   #6
boredus

I had this exact problem. I put the bike in dealer mode and got the code up. It turned out I needed the throttle bodies putting back in to spec for the computer to be happy again. It would do it like clockwork, 5 or 6th gear, open throttle suddenly and the light would come on, bike had no power and when I pulled over the revs sat at 3K. Turn it off and on again and it was fine until I repeated the above, bloody annoying on the 300mile round trip we were doing in France at the time it started happening!
I found a thread on the SV forum detailing what sensors to take measurements from on the tester, all a bit fiddley but since I did it have not had any more issues.