SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 31-07-10, 11:43 AM   #111
martin15s

Default Re: A MiniTwin is Born

could be an interesting turn bearing in mind this is the PHOTO section ???
Old 31-07-10, 12:50 PM   #112
TamSV
Mega Poster

Nnnnnooooooooooo!
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 07:00 PM   #113
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Absouletly cracking thread!!!
I think I'll be nicking a few ideas (reg/rec springs to mind) for my bike for the winter tinkering.

Keep it Chris and Carl!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 08:11 PM   #114
toby_smith

Reet, well I was cheif photographer today so here is todays snaps from.....

Well when I arrived the bike looked like this (more like a bike than it has the last few times I've seen it!!)

The "Just chuck it on, it'll fit straight on" fairing is just sat over the rest of the bike. By the looks of it it won't fit straight on!!

So then the bike looks like this again:

Then out comes the super special useful tool which should come as part of the fitting kit....

Bit of chop chop chopping of the fairing and then positioned using the crash bungs...

More chopping on the other side...

A bit of modification of the aformentioned chops...

Carl trying it for fit. A bit of rhinoplasty should sort the nose/screen conflict...

Cuppa tea time for those not too busy chopping fiberglass

And now a cup of tea and a cig for the mad axeman

So now about 2000 hours later with the fairing position decided time for carl to make some mounts..

And then time or chris to vanish to his voodoo shed and re-appear with some nuts magically attached to them..

And now for some more cutting...

Just a bit of daftness now...

And some more, the white powder is fibreglass by the way!

And now here's the pieces of fairing we decided not to use...so far...

Then all of a sudden things took a turn for the strange. Carl pulls out a can of spinach from his pocket, gulps it down and....

Then this is where I left them. About 7 hours after I arrived, yup, you guessed it, chopping more fiaring off to allow the bars to actually turn!!!!

I'm sure Chris and Carl will be along soon with the latest news, 1 week untill test time, I mean, the first race.

Lots of love,

Toby "the pit bitch" Smith

Last edited by toby_smith; 31-07-10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 31-07-10, 08:53 PM   #115
flymo
Mega Poster

Where are the numbers going to go?

With a bit of luck you'll be number 2 rather then 666
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 08:55 PM   #116
toby_smith

Dunno where he's sticking the numbers but he's 33 (number, not age!)
Old 31-07-10, 08:59 PM   #117
flymo
Mega Poster

If the scrutineers are as picky as the ones I usually get then they'll be expecting a central yellow number board. Might be worth taping over the front ram air vent and the lower section of the screen yellow to form a decent sized number board.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 09:14 PM   #118
Berlin

10 HOURS!

10 Bloomin' hours!

Thats how long it takes to fit a 675 fairing to a curvy!

And it STILL not over because we had to remove so much of the fairing it has the rigidity of a sheet of A4 paper! So tomorrow its all coming off again (in Newcastle) and the same amount of fibre glass that originally went into the fairing is going to be added again just to stop it flopping all over the place. Bloody nightmare!

It might be that this is just a dodgy fairing and we have suspicions that it is. The right ride below the handlebar is about an inch higher than the left side and the dzus fasteners on the left side are in the wrong place and it wasn't a good fit to the bike at all. We even had a pic of an SV with a 675 fairing to work from and there was absolutely no way this fairing was going to fit like that fairing. We took measurements and scaled them up and we were miles out. So we adjusted the bike we had to match the set up on the other bike. We dropped the handlebars to the same level, moved this, bent that and still no way. This is not the same faring as is on the other bike. Even when we had it lined up with the same points on the frame it was no where near anywhere else.

So if you're looking for a good fit fairing for the SV, the 675 isn't it!

After going on and coming off about 20 times we evenetually got something that *Just* misses the handlebars (and I'll have to remove even more to make the scrutineers happy), rev counter (which was repositioned three times and is now in there with a feeler gauge!) We had to move the front brake reservoir three times, we had to completely demolish the Harris front frame mount (he says crying) and cut away about 20% of the fairing.

Bloody frustrating day interdispersed with great banter and lots of cups of tea.

Anyone have a K5 GSXR fairing for sale?

The bike will have a final 12 hour workout tomorrow to get it ready to race and I'll be setting up the suspension, checking everything and making sure it'll pass scrutineering. It'll also get new numbers too.

Hopefully the last pieces of exhaust will arrive this week and will be fitted on Thursday night before heading to the track on Friday. So will the Race pads. Then we can sort out the jetting and everything else that needs doing.

Its going to be a crazy week!

C
Old 31-07-10, 09:21 PM   #119
Berlin

Flymo, As I don't know how much of the fairing I'll have left after cutting the rest off tomorrow I'm not sure how the numbers are going to go on.

Maybe like this..

I think this fairing will end up being binned as soon as the last race is over... unless I bin it first

C

Last edited by Berlin; 31-07-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 31-07-10, 10:50 PM   #120
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Where you in Newcastle (upon Tyne I'm hoping not Staffordshire) Carl i'll muck in after work if you need help?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote