SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-10, 04:38 PM   #1
ryangarside

Question 33bhp restriction - certificate necessary?

just bought myself a carb sv650, its insured mot'd and taxed but on my lisence im supposed to be restricted to 33bhp, is there a certificate or anything similar that comes with a restriction kit to present to insurers/ police? coz i dont fancy getting more points on my lisence.. lol any help much appreciated tah
Old 25-07-10, 04:40 PM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: 33bhp restriction

get it dyno'd and get the print out with your reg and frame number printed on it and signed buy the place that did the dyno to verify it.

you dont need a cert by law but it help
Old 25-07-10, 04:44 PM   #3
ryangarside

ahhh cheeers! :P big help as a friend has a dyno, will get it done there cheap me thinks cheers
Old 25-07-10, 04:49 PM   #4
mjc

If you get a new kit fitted by a dealer you'll get a certificate with it. You'll also get financially shafted.

General consensus is that legally you dont need one. In my experience neither insurers or the police have been at all interested in the state of restriction of my bike. Other peoples experiences may differ...
Old 25-07-10, 04:50 PM   #5
barwel1992

^ mostly the case, although my insurers at the time wanted prof
Old 25-07-10, 05:02 PM   #6
ryangarside

gonna stil get a printout just in case but not gonna cost me anythin, gonna make a restrictor in the garage with some ally plate, and then get a printout just incase and ride roudn unrestricted
Old 25-07-10, 05:42 PM   #7
barwel1992

^ shh dont tell them that they will bite your head off .... i know lol
Old 25-07-10, 06:03 PM   #8
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangarside View Post
gonna stil get a printout just in case but not gonna cost me anythin, gonna make a restrictor in the garage with some ally plate, and then get a printout just incase and ride roudn unrestricted

Irrespective of other peoples feelings on this, it's really not a very clever thing to say on a public forum.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-10, 06:05 PM   #9
husky03
Mega Poster

read this- its llllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnn nnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ht=restriction
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-10, 07:54 PM   #10
Tomcatracing

FWIW, this has been discussed at some length on another forum I use: www.therevcounter.com

Some cops and ex-cops contributed and the general consensus is:
  • The certificates are meaningless
  • Going through FI International is a massive rip-off
  • If you use cheapie restrictor washers off eBlag and the cops stop you, they may want to dyno test your bike (as they did to one bloke and damaged his bike, case ongoing)
  • If you have a dyno sheet with you the chances are they will accept that (unless they are real barstewards).
  • The insurance bods don't care (yes really!)
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...icate-rip-off/