SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 30-10-10, 09:00 PM   #1
allantheboss

Default Good tyre fitters near Egham?

I go to Royal Holloway, started this year, and was wondering if people knew a good bike tyre depot nearby?

Also, how come Guildford gets it's own forum like the entirity of the Southwest does? Do all the mods live in Guildford?
Old 30-10-10, 09:04 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: Good tyre fitters near Egham?

Hes onto you GM ...run!

not sure about egham but only about 10 mins away from stains is spannerman at sunburry cross.
quick and does a good price for forum members.
Old 30-10-10, 09:50 PM   #3
phi-dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
I go to Royal Holloway
Good man Myself and the missus both graduated from there in '97

I never needed to get tyres whilst up there (did them myself during the holidays) but the only time I needed a garage to do anything for me (sign a defect rectification notice -whoops) I went to Black Dog Motorcycles in Staines. While I was there they noticed a few little things that also needed doing and sorted them with no cost. Of course, that was 13 years ago, but as they're still trading they can't be doing much wrong!
Old 31-10-10, 04:59 PM   #4
TazDaz

I use SpannerMan for my tyres. Usually cheaper than elsewhere and you get a bit of a show too!
Old 31-10-10, 09:28 PM   #5
Raf

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
I go to Royal Holloway, started this year, and was wondering if people knew a good bike tyre depot nearby?

Also, how come Guildford gets it's own forum like the entirity of the Southwest does? Do all the mods live in Guildford?
You are just down the road from me. I never used spanner man but I did use Wraybury's tyres in chertsey and they do know their stuff. Also NEVER EVER ON PAIN OF DEATH (and I know this because they nearly killed me) use Universal tyres in staines. EVER.
Old 31-10-10, 11:43 PM   #6
allantheboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
Hes onto you GM ...run!

not sure about egham but only about 10 mins away from stains is spannerman at sunburry cross.
quick and does a good price for forum members.
Oh, is he on the forum? How can I get ahold of him? Where is the shop/what is is called? Is it called "Spannerman"? And is Sunburry Cross where it is? Where can I go/what number do I call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi-dan View Post
Good man Myself and the missus both graduated from there in '97

I never needed to get tyres whilst up there (did them myself during the holidays) but the only time I needed a garage to do anything for me (sign a defect rectification notice -whoops) I went to Black Dog Motorcycles in Staines. While I was there they noticed a few little things that also needed doing and sorted them with no cost. Of course, that was 13 years ago, but as they're still trading they can't be doing much wrong!
Cool! Im in Founders west at the mo, doing Biomedical science! Thats cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
You are just down the road from me. I never used spanner man but I did use Wraybury's tyres in chertsey and they do know their stuff. Also NEVER EVER ON PAIN OF DEATH (and I know this because they nearly killed me) use Universal tyres in staines. EVER.
Do you know any good houses to rent? Im looking for somewhere now!

Has anybody had experience with a couple of all these places? I will probably end up going there for the next 3 years, so I want to save myself having to look around and just settle for a good recommendation!
Old 01-11-10, 09:40 AM   #7
BBadger

http://www.stewarts-motorcycles.co.uk/About-Us.html

and yes he is on the forum...search for "spannerman" and tbh if you going to be going there for a few years then its a nice layed back place and does all servicing and tyres and what not.
Old 01-11-10, 11:03 AM   #8
tonyk
Mega Poster

Good tyres fitters are all over the place, i used to go to the cheepest place i could find,
UNTIL................my chain needed checking and pads needed doing..
tyre places do just tyres. and main deallers charge a arm and leg prices....
some one one suggested spannerman on this forum...
He does tyres AND checks the bike over suggesting what other things may need doing with NO obligation to get them done.....and in my book its worth getting it done from him...

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 12:58 PM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quite a few of us on here recommend Spannerman for good reason - the show when you pop in is always worth it*. Some words to drop into the conversation to get it going nicely are: lube, latex gloves, tight spot, rubbing strip, nurse, rubber, and special tool. Of course asking about tyre fitting without saying any of these is pretty hard...

If you like the humour of Monty Python mixed with Pete and Dud you'll love it in there.

*The price and attention to detail are also excellent.
Old 18-11-10, 03:54 PM   #10
allantheboss

Speaking to the old Holloway....ians, I've been notified of secret tunnels but haven't found any yet. Apparently there's one from the picture gallery, and one behind Crosslands (the pub in Founders)

How can I discover these amazing places?!