SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-01-11, 01:21 AM   #1
SVMAT

Default SV acceleration performance question.

I know there are a few on here who have mastered the laws of physics so with that in mind, heres the challenge.
Sv650s k4 40-80mph time (not roll on) as fast as poss
and
what distance would this be done in?

This would really help in a court case where in a statement made by a my friend accelerated from 40-80 and slowed to about 10 in order to take a 90 degree minor turning all in the space of 150m. Getting the info on stopping distances was easy enough (122m) but not the sv figures. Any help or even estimates would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-11, 01:50 AM   #2
lammypie

Default Re: Right, i know this is hugely random but....

must recheck suvat equations

id say about 5 or 6 seconds... so using

distance traveled= av velocity (80+40/2= 60mph soo about 26 m/s) x time taken

between 130-155m (for 5 and 6 sec ish)

stopping distances in the highway code arnt exactly relevant alot of vehicles can stop in half that. and depending on the road surface this time of year it can be more too. but 40-80 to nearly stop in 150m... not likely..

my maths might be a bit iffy.. and youl have the best chance at this asking a 16 year old doing physics for gcse.. if anyone else can check that might help you, but the rozzer might just say he underestimated the distance and it could have been 350m.. at those speeds its not easy to tell

Last edited by lammypie; 08-01-11 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:47 AM   #3
-Ralph-

What's the charge, DWDC?
Old 08-01-11, 04:31 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMAT View Post
This would really help in a court case where in a statement made by a my friend accelerated from 40-80 and slowed to about 10 in order to take a 90 degree minor turning all in the space of 150m.
did the officer use a calibrated device? if not then its here say and any decent brief will get it thrown out.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 09:30 AM   #5
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
did the officer use a calibrated device? if not then its here say and any decent brief will get it thrown out.
Nope, not if the charge is not speeding.

DWDC for instance, all they have to prove is that his standard of driving fell below the standard of a prudent motorist, and witness statements from civilians are sufficient to prove that in court, never mind a statement from a coppr.

I spent a day in court on the hearsay of two witnesses, one of whom had is own agenda and was lying through his teeth. Had the other witness not been an old guy who took swearing on the bible as a very serious undertaking, even though he basically had to incrimiate himself, then I would have been found guilty without a doubt.
Old 08-01-11, 10:55 AM   #6
robbie09

lammy i think you've confused acceleration and velocity :S

a = (v-u) / t

to do that question you need more info i would have though...you cant use speed = distance over time because the braking and accelerating arn't going to be linear...as in if you plotted distance against time...the graph wouldn't be a straight line and thereforeeee you cant use simple v = s/t

maybe a time to get from 40 to 80..to work out acceleration. use that to get distance...then you got to know time to get back down to 10 mph for the turn at max banana and from that you can work out distance

:s i think im right....

Last edited by robbie09; 08-01-11 at 10:57 AM. Reason: i dont make much sense
Old 08-01-11, 10:59 AM   #7
robbie09

oh woops...having just re-read what you wrote i think you make more sense now! ....mechanics on monday...fail!
Old 08-01-11, 11:17 AM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammypie View Post
id say about 5 or 6 seconds... so using

distance traveled= av velocity (80+40/2= 60mph soo about 26 m/s) x time taken
5-6seconds in top gear perhaps, in the right gear I'd say closer to half that

SV can do 0-60 in under 4s

Won't crunch the numbers as without that time I don't think there's sufficient data to calculate an answer, and it makes a huge difference to the result

But I will say that my gut feeling is that an 150m sounds about right for an SV going 40-80-10mph if someone were "pressing on"

I'm going to hold my foot firmly in front of my lips ready for insertion and say that I think your mate is being a little economical with the truth, perhaps the officer is as well, but all he needs to do is say that in his opinion XYZ and your mate will have a hard time proving otherwise...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:36 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
5-6seconds in top gear perhaps, in the right gear I'd say closer to half that

SV can do 0-60 in under 4s

Won't crunch the numbers as without that time I don't think there's sufficient data to calculate an answer, and it makes a huge difference to the result

But I will say that my gut feeling is that an 150m sounds about right for an SV going 40-80-10mph if someone were "pressing on"

I'm going to hold my foot firmly in front of my lips ready for insertion and say that I think your mate is being a little economical with the truth, perhaps the officer is as well, but all he needs to do is say that in his opinion XYZ and your mate will have a hard time proving otherwise...
I'm with TLW its doable but the truth may be economical, from 80mph to 10 the bike will be close to doing a stoppie as that is some braking effort.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:43 PM   #10
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
I'm with TLW its doable but the truth may be economical, from 80mph to 10 the bike will be close to doing a stoppie as that is some braking effort.
Could be exactly why he's up in court...
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote