SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-11, 06:58 PM   #1
evo-orange

Unhappy Electrical Issue?

Hi, I have a SV650S K9 (sept 2009) It was garaged over the winter and put back into service two weeks ago when i went to a rally. The battery was on an optimiser over the winter and bike alarm turned off (datatool).

I have been away and haven't used it for two weeks. Today I have tried to start it and thought the battery was dead as all the usually flat battery issues showed up. I checked the battery and it was at 10.5 volts but charged it anyway.

Ive put the battery back on and still nothing. No turn over and the battery drained within a minutes. The bike was wet when i put it in the garage but i did dry it off straight away. Could water be in the electrical system? Where is the best place to start looking? Anyone have any ideas? I know its still under warranty but I'd like to solve it, as organising transport to get it to the dealer will be a pain.

Cheers for any assistance.
Old 15-03-11, 11:39 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Electrical Issue?

10.5 volts? that aint no good.
A battery without the ignition on should see 11.5v-12v, with the engine running should be approx 14v.
I would suspect your battery, give it a full charge and check it again with your meter, if its still reading 10.5v, get a new battery.ran

PS, ive just noticed how new the bike is, get your dealer to sort it out, they should arrange transport, its their problem.

Last edited by Specialone; 15-03-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 16-03-11, 02:04 AM   #3
monkey

+1. Back to the dealer.

Is it possible you left it with the parking light on? I've killed a battery doing that.
Old 16-03-11, 08:00 PM   #4
evo-orange

Thanks to Specialone and Monkey for your comments. I have purchased a new battery today but haven't yet had the time to try it out. I know I didn't leave the park light on, thats one of the things I always check. (bit of OCD). I fully charged the old battery and out the meter on it straight away and watched the volts drop as fast as I could read it out. The battery may solve it but something else is bugging me about this. I'll be back with an update as soon as I try the new battery.
Old 16-03-11, 08:19 PM   #5
Specialone

If you suspect the battery, test it away from the bike.

Batteries, especially bike ones, can just 'go', the vibrations they are subjected to don't help them I guess.

Id be surprised on a new bike if it was anything else tbh.

Tell your dealer, he might replace the battery for you.
Old 16-03-11, 09:13 PM   #6
monkey

Batteries can begave extremely strangely. Lucas on here had a problem when we were in Belgium. His battery tested fine one minute and then 0v the next! I proved there was something inside broken by giving it a kick and watching the voltage come back.

Don't forget your bike is wtill within warranty so the dealer should be your first port of call for any problems so as not to invalidate it if nothing else.

Also make sure you charge the battery for a good 12 hours before fitting it. Otherwise it'll never reach it's full potential.
Old 17-03-11, 07:13 PM   #7
evo-orange

Right, update time. New battery fitted and!!! it starts. So the battery it was. I have never had a battery fail so dramatically and quickly before. I blame the alarm personally. What ever you do to the bike you have to dis-arm the alarm and turn on the ignition, otherwise it re-arms itself. This ofcourse means all the electrics are on, including the lights! This can't be any good for the battery.

New battery is a Varta with a slightly higher Amp hour rating so lets so how long this lasts!

Thanks to everyone who posted, it helped me out. Ta.
Old 17-03-11, 09:08 PM   #8
monkey

You don't have to put the ignition on every time you mentalist! That's what ferry mode's useful for. Or you could have the alarm set to passive immobilise only.

I really feel that people give alarms a hard time for draining batteries. I've never had a single instance of a flat battery that I could directly blame on an alarm and I've had one on at least one of my bikes since 2003.