SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-11, 05:01 PM   #1
ImplodedHamster

Default What advanced riding?

I am looking at doing some sort advance riding course: ERS, Bike safe, IAM
what are your recommendations and opinions?

if it helps, I'm 18 with a restricted SV been riding for 1 and a 1/2 years, full licence for almost 1 year, and big bike for around 3 months. I have picked up some advance stuff from reading roadcraft and watching my dad (used to teach advance stuff but not for a while)

Thanks
Old 26-04-11, 05:46 PM   #2
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: What advanced riding?

contact your local police office and explain to them what your looking for-they should be able to point you in the right direction(i thought i was a decent rider until i done my advance police m/c course and got my eyes opened big style).
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-11, 06:02 PM   #3
The Idle Biker

I looked into two options, Bike Safe and Enhanced Rider Scheme. ERS seemed more comprehensive and the Bikesafe guys said that if I did ERS then they couldn't offer anymore than that. I only had one session of ERS but very very informative. It was a one on one instructor session for 2 hours of A and B roads. I was miked up and the information that was provided by the Instructor was excellent.

At the end they grade you on the aspects covered in terms of liklihood of risk of accident. 4 grades from minimal risk to major risk. (I didn't score that well), but what I learnt has stayed with me.

It cost me £60 for the two hours but good value for money. Woking Yamaha - ask for Steve if you're interested.

Mind you, theres no way you can ride like you're supposed to all the time, it would drive you batty, there'd be no point having a bike. Having said that even when I'm out for a blast I still focus on lots of the things I went through on that first session.
Old 26-04-11, 06:05 PM   #4
danf1234

I did Bikesafe with North Yorkshire Police at Thirsk and it was brilliant. Cost me £50.

I am now enrolled on IAM, but I have been since last November after snapping my knee. I intend to go back after the ARTNW.

I got a voucher at the bikesafe for £50 off the IAM, which in effect made the bikesafe free!

I also found the IAM lot at North Yorkshire a true mixed bunch, not all BMW riding 60 year olds!
Old 26-04-11, 08:26 PM   #5
SUPERSTARDJ01

As an IAM member and someone thata has participated in the police training scheme I would recommend IAM.
Old 26-04-11, 08:26 PM   #6
Essex of Essex

I did Bikesafe with the Essex police and found it very useful; from that to a full time IAM course with a local instructor and eventually trained as an observer. I still go back periodically to be seen by an instructor to ensure I'm not developing bad habits. I would like to go and be ROSPA assessed at some point.

I've found that training has improved my enjoyment of my bike by improving my understanding of what I am doing, I taught my self to ride 30 years ago long before CBT and the like.
Old 26-04-11, 08:58 PM   #7
Jackie_Black

I passed my IAM test a few years ago and it has been very useful. It doesn't make you invincible but does allow you to work with a system of riding that is aimed to make you as safe as you can be. There has been a few times i've been thankful i've done it but it didn't stop a transit clipping me into a ditch in scotland! Worth the effort though IMO.
Old 27-04-11, 03:24 PM   #8
maxinc

Any training that can make you safer is good training. I am doing the IAM an the moment, and although I have so much to learn, I can say it has dramatically improved my safety and comfort on the road, not only on the bike but as a driver too. I love the company, the meetings, the ride-outs and excellent advice you get with every occasion. Well worth it.
Old 27-04-11, 04:56 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
contact your local police office and explain to them what your looking for-they should be able to point you in the right direction(i thought i was a decent rider until i done my advance police m/c course and got my eyes opened big style).
would agree with that, most road riders would be in the ditch after 5 corners chasing a police rider

The IAM has a very mixed response on here.
I did it last year and have found it useful, but my catch 22 is (and the police examiner also said this) I can ride quick and don't need to try.

Every IAM club is different, with the club I'm with has a noticeable amount of sports and supersport riders and a very small contingent of BMW boxer riders (they all ride F80o's instead )

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 27-04-11 at 04:57 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-11, 05:03 PM   #10
husky03
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
would agree with that, most road riders would be in the ditch after 5 corners chasing a police rider

)

bang on mate -best rider i've ever seen was my instructor on the police course-he made riding on the bad parts of the road look like the normal-guy has been doing it for over 12 years and it shows.

h.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote