SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 26-04-11, 10:22 PM   #1
redders

Default Knee sliders or not?

Hi all,

I am about to purchase some leather 'pants' (in quotes because it just feels wrong to say that). The main reason is I want to go to some of the beginner track days, and it's my understanding that you can't go there unless you're fully leather'd up, but of course they'll offer that extra level of protection when I'm off the track too (currently have textiles and some Hood jeans).

The big question is: should I go for the pants with knee-sliders, or shall I go for something that looks a little less silly when you're off the bike? At the moment I'm leaning towards the sliders option, though I'm not 100% sure how much I'll enjoy the track, nor does it seem at all likely that I'm going to get my knee down - it's not been a year since I passed my test yet - but I feel like I'd like to keep my options open.

I have an alpinestars jacket, so I'd like to get some pants that match - they tend to fit me the best as I'm quite skinny - something I clearly have in common with the Italians. I was thinking probably the track pants, but the other option is the 'bat pants' , or there's the A-10 middleground.

Finally to make sure it's not too simple - what about a suit? If I'm going far enough to warrant knee sliders, should I go the whole hog and get a suit?

Not too worried about costs as long as it is kit that'll last - within reason of course, I'm not Rockefeller.

Cheers

~redders.
Old 26-04-11, 10:36 PM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Knee sliders or not?

Knee down just gives you a clue to when your pushing your luck.When the pegs scrap is a good enough gauge your on the raggedy edge.But if you hang off (and when the mist comes down you will)and you do hit the road with ya knee your wish you had a set.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-11, 11:40 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

You could also stop talking American and just call them trousers.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-11, 06:40 AM   #4
Berlin

If you get them with you can always remove the sliders and have inconspicuous velcro ovals on the pants/trousers.

If you get them without and decide you were wrong you can get stick on velcro ovals to attach sliders to.

if you're a 44" waist I've got some very nice pants/trousers in the wardrobe that are too big for me now. (with velcro but without sliders)

C
Old 27-04-11, 09:09 AM   #5
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Most have velcro pads on so you can remove them when you want to - even though my only experience of using them was on a track day, I think they're worth it...
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-11, 09:26 AM   #6
Reeder

I got leather trousers as part of a two piece with the velcro on the knees ready for the sliders. I passed last July and yesterday I actually ordered some
Old 27-04-11, 12:11 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I have the BAT "trousers" - very comfy. Not planning to do any track days and not likely (at my age) to want to get my knee down so the choice was easy.
Old 27-04-11, 03:34 PM   #8
L3nny
Mega Poster

Bear in mind with A* trousers the knee sliders are a £30 optional extra.

It's up to you really, but getting your knee down is fun

Another option would be to get a cheap 1 piece suit from Ebay for around £60 and wear that on the track.

Last edited by L3nny; 27-04-11 at 03:36 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-11, 05:16 PM   #9
Specialone

Lenny, I bought my A* leather pants from HG in brum and they came with sliders, all the ones on the rack had them on as well, £199 I paid for them.
Old 28-04-11, 04:27 PM   #10
hongman

If you get a 2 piece, make sure they zip up all the way round, as most (all?) tracks require this.

They didnt check at Silverstone actually, but its for your own good really. If you come off your jacket needs something to stop it riding up and exposing skin.