SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-11, 10:59 AM   #1
sp07tjwh

Red face Crashed - front end repair/replacement?

Heya All,

Sooooo... after a little something something involving a fast corner, rabbit and metal barrier it looks like I need to start learning about the SV's front end! Just got a couple of questions.

1) What sort of damage should I be looking for (apart from obvious fork/wheel knackerage). Done a visual check on the front of the frame, seems ok. Radiator seems alright but cap bent in a little (still seals itself though).
2) Best way to remove the old front end? Paddock stands?
3)Compatability of other forks? I'm riding a naked so fairings aren't a problem. I've seen a lot of GSXR forks being put on SV's, but they're proper expensive by the looks of things, so is there any chance I could fit from a different make or model?

Thanks All, have a nice day =)
Old 10-06-11, 01:31 PM   #2
hongman

Default Re: Crashed - front end repair/replacement?

1) not really qualified to anwer properly, other than the obvious.
2) Either Paddock stands, using a steering stem lift front, or something like Abba stand
3) GSXR's really are the best fit and least hassle, hence why everyone uses them, so they'll be your best bet. It'll improve handling as well as braking!

What year SV?
Old 10-06-11, 01:57 PM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Get a steering stem lift, they really are the dogs for the £45 they cost!

And deffo get a Gixer front end.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 02:55 PM   #4
warmshed

Is it just the chrome fork legs bent or have you damaged the lower half too. You can get used fork legs around £50 each and the lowers come up for around £25 each based on past sales on fleabay. There is a set of forks and yokes at the moment for £140 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-Sv650-F...item1c1c5048ea

Damage to the frame is not always easy to see, the only real way would be to get it set up on a frameliner but there would be a cost involved, maybe do it after your repair if you feel it is worthwhile.

If the legs are just a little misshapen then you can get them straightened but as people are changing theirs for GSX front ends you might be able to pick up some originals at a good price. Regards Dave.
Old 10-06-11, 03:09 PM   #5
sp07tjwh

Thanks for the replies.

Hongman; it's a '99 SVS. Paddock stands dont seem to be a go-er as they ride the bike from the forks dont they? Not great as I'm taking them off!
Nobbylad; Haven't heard of them, will be checking them out now on the tinterweb though. Thanks for the reccom.
Warmshed; The clamps look alright, but forks and lowers both a bit shagged. That link is fantastic thanks! The forks are crimped/creased so no-one will straighten them, and lowers smashed shut around the legs - the barrier must have been at just the most expensive height for me! p.s. did you have to paint the cowl in the end?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-11, 03:15 PM   #6
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
1) not really qualified to anwer properly, other than the obvious.
2) Either Paddock stands, using a steering stem lift front, or something like Abba stand
3) GSXR's really are the best fit and least hassle, hence why everyone uses them, so they'll be your best bet. It'll improve handling as well as braking!

What year SV?
Old 10-06-11, 03:26 PM   #7
sp07tjwh

BOOM. Thanks
Old 10-06-11, 06:20 PM   #8
kaimera

gixer fronts aren't cheap but you've a gen1 so the old srad front ends will suit perfect and you'd get them reasonable enough in the UK i imagine. or get a stock front and get the suspension set up for yourself professionally.

any pics of the damage? lol. did the same myself, front end damage, thought she was a write off until i started taking parts off - only need a single stanchion to get back on the raod (well, thats the only major part, few levers and fairing but minor enough!)
Old 10-06-11, 06:39 PM   #9
SVMAT

You can get the forks straightened dependant on how bent they are, if they are creased at the bend then its a no no. Tp raise bike up i use car jack on sump (front of sump to lift front end, near back to lift back) and couple of axle stands, one under each side supporing frame near pegs. Put weight on back to get the front in the air.

For a budget get old srad rwu forks or stock sv forks are your best bet as i think the fit your original crown if this isnt damaged.
Old 10-06-11, 09:54 PM   #10
warmshed

Hope you find the damage is not as bad a first thought, put a wanted ad in and fingers crossed. Cowl was wrong yellow,Son's 02 was the lighter yellow, shame a bit of polishing past got most of the marks and wear off and looking like new, have to have a trip to see the sprayers. thanks though very pleased with it. Dave