SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Hardware Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 14-09-11, 12:08 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Hot grips

Anybody use/recommend any others apart from Oxford? I need to start preparing the SV for winter, it's going to end up with handguards also because my silly little hands can't cope with cold but I just wondered if there were better grips than Oxford?

Cheers in advance,

Maria.
Old 14-09-11, 02:09 PM   #2
metalhead19

Default Re: Hot grips

Why not oxford?
Old 14-09-11, 02:12 PM   #3
missyburd

I know Oxford are good and readily available but wanted to know what other options are. If it meant I had to spend a bit more for a better quality grip then it would be worth it.
Old 14-09-11, 02:21 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

the oxford ones tend to have a problem with the digital control unit, the daytona simple rotating one I find much more reliable.

And rather than handguards, these work much better for even the worst climate conditions, not trendy I'll grant you, but functional (make sure you get the neoprene ones.)

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 14-09-11 at 02:24 PM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-11, 02:32 PM   #5
missyburd

Yeah I'd heard about the Daytonas, any feedback on those would be good.

I'm not too sure about bar muff things, I just keep thinking there'll hamper the controls.
Old 14-09-11, 02:37 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

I've used the daytona one's for 3 winters (that's about 40k winter riding) without any issue, the bar muffs can get it the way a bit, I'll grant you, but the neoprene one's are better as they retain their shape more, they are 10x better than handguards if heat is what you're after, with the combination of the two I've never had cold hands even with ice buildup on the outside of the muffs, miles done and Rictus tested.....
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-11, 02:44 PM   #7
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Rictus tested.....
A certified guarantee if ever there was one!

I may try them out in that case. Do you know if they only come in the one size though? If they be too big for my hands then that will add to the cumbersomeness even more, not ideal...suppose for £20...
Old 14-09-11, 02:54 PM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Rather than heated grips, I bought heated gloves. Absolutely marvellous, hands like toast, come spring I had serious issues that I did not want to give up the warmth until they became uncomfortably hot.
Old 14-09-11, 02:57 PM   #9
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Rather than heated grips, I bought heated gloves. Absolutely marvellous, hands like toast, come spring I had serious issues that I did not want to give up the warmth until they became uncomfortably hot.
Duly considered, unfortunately funds don't stretch that far.
Old 14-09-11, 03:02 PM   #10
kellyjo

MYC, Ive used the muffs alone for the last two winters and ridden only in my summer gloves. I only remember one occasion when my hands got too cold, but it was a seriously cold day with ice on the road. After a couple of trips id forget the muffs were there and never had a problem with them interfering with the controls.
This winter I have heated grips too!!