SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Would the power lines bother you if you were buying this property
No! 27 54.00%
Yes, they are ugly and spoil the view 9 18.00%
Yes, I'd worry about trying to sell the house 12 24.00%
Yes, I'd still have health concerns 11 22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-01-12, 05:32 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Would it bother you to buy a house near power lines?

Take for instance this house

It's everything you want, nice location in a good area, good amenities, good school, private entrance to the front so no neighbours sticking a transit van across your living room window, nice big garden backing on fields and not overlooked, double garage for lots of motorbikes, and you got it for 30 grand less than other similar houses in the area. It ticks all your boxes.

The only compromise your going to have to make is those power lines behind it. They are in the next field, 180 metres away, and you have written confirmation from the National Grid, accompanied by various independent scientific research publications on the subject, saying that you are three times further away than you would need to be for there to be any heath concern. If you were within the distance for heath concern of 60 metres, or the scientists have got the research wrong, the concern would be double the risk of childhood leukaemia, from 1 in 24000, to 1 in 12000. Imagine you do have young children.

Experts say power lines within 75 metres have an impact on house values.

Would the power lines bother you enough to make you decide not to buy it?

Poll will be added shortly.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 18-01-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 18-01-12, 05:37 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Would it bother you to buy a house near power lines?

Wouldn't bother me at all. The ex lived in an old converted Baptist chapel, when he studied for his degree. We used to make jokes of the pylon crackling every now and again, the pylon over the road, the lines hanging above your head on the driveway ....more noticeable when it was absolutely silent.

Nice big house, very expensive in an exclusive area, with huge garden and a big garage suitable for plenty of motorbikes? Yes it was.....shame it was owned by someone else

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 05:37 PM   #3
MisterTommyH

Maybe you get a different perspective with kids, but wouldn't bother me. I live probably the same distance from some.

And regarding the reduced future value, well you're getting a reduced price now.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 05:38 PM   #4
grimey121uk

Short answer no.

Makes you wonder how many people will be put off due to a fear of a small increase in the risk of cancer yet will be happy to smoke despite being 25times more likely to develop lung cancer than a non smoker
Old 18-01-12, 05:42 PM   #5
Specialone

A mate of mine Col, had a 4 bed detached in tamworth, nice area, house was cracking, but in his garden you could see the pylon about 100 metres away and the cable went directly over his garden.

Two things that put me off about it,

Birds would eat the berries from nearby trees and sit on the cables all day and then poop, it was purple in colour which went all over his cars, garden furniture, windows etc etc.

The cables used to buzz terrible, sometimes it was really loud, it would get on your nerves after a while.

It took him over a year to sell it and a massive reduction in cost as loads came to see it and loved the house but everyone commented it was the pylon putting them off.
Old 18-01-12, 05:43 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

You might feel your hair move a bit when they crackle, a bit like when you rub your head with a balloon

kidding

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 05:47 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
A mate of mine Col, had a 4 bed detached in tamworth, nice area, house was cracking, but in his garden you could see the pylon about 100 metres away and the cable went directly over his garden.

Two things that put me off about it,

Birds would eat the berries from nearby trees and sit on the cables all day and then poop, it was purple in colour which went all over his cars, garden furniture, windows etc etc.

The cables used to buzz terrible, sometimes it was really loud, it would get on your nerves after a while.

It took him over a year to sell it and a massive reduction in cost as loads came to see it and loved the house but everyone commented it was the pylon putting them off.
With the cable directly over the garden, there's no way I would buy it, and I'm not surprised he had trouble selling it. That pylon is the closest as the cables get to the house. You certainly can't hear them.
Old 18-01-12, 06:04 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

So the "experts" now say 60m is the danger distance?Twenty odd years ago the "experts" used to say there was no danger from these cables.I wonder what they will say in another twenty years.One thing it shows about "experts".They usually make a good living out of telling us what to think without really knowing much at all.I wouldnt buy it.
Old 18-01-12, 06:10 PM   #9
Bri w

Yes, they spoil the view for me.

Its a buyer's market at present and a time when being fussy isn't a problem.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 06:12 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I'd stay away, it looks ugly. They have been linked to cancer in kids. But what doesn't cause cancer? They warn us about something new every week
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote