SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-03-12, 09:04 PM   #1
Stuuk1

Default Android

No, not another iphone / android thing.

My dad just got a Galaxy S2 and im extremely jealous. This thing is just great!

First of perhaps many questions....

What is Kies?

How can I update to the new IceCreamSandwich? Do they do OTA updates? The phone still says no updates available when I check through the phone's settings. Its on o2 and the update has been sent out apparently.

How do I pay for songs and apps etc? I click buy and it asks me to log in, log in to what? Gmail? Where do I add card details?

Iphone user... You can probably tell

P.s. Downloading Kies now, is this the itunes of android?
Old 28-03-12, 09:15 PM   #2
DJFridge

Default Re: Android

What is Kies? Stop the download, delete it, transfer any Kies related files left onto a disc, burn the disc, bury the ashes, napalm the burial site and then run away. Fast.

Kies is an appalling piece of software. If they put as little time into testing their phones as they apparently do their software, they would sell fewer phones than Russell Hobbs. When it works properly it is hideously slow, and it frequently just won't work. Nokia's PC Suite has more useable feature and that's about 10 years old. It's sadly the easiest way of upgrading the phone software (I used it to upgrade an i5800 from Android 2.1 to 2.2 and it was a painful experience. It can also have unexpected side effects - if you use Synctoy (a very neat little Microsoft program which I use to synchronize our iTunes library across a couple of PCs) it will stop working when you install Kies.

And it's not just me

http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...hannel=suggest

Great phone though!
Old 28-03-12, 09:21 PM   #3
Stuuk1

So may I ask what program you use to manage your phone, presuming you have the same or similar phone?

Is there no google based program like apple's itunes?
Old 28-03-12, 09:26 PM   #4
L3nny
Mega Poster

Use Air Droid rather than Kies, Kies is pants.

However the bueaty of Android is you don't have to mess about with stuff like that because you can take out the removable SD card and plug it into your PC directly.

Last edited by L3nny; 28-03-12 at 09:28 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 09:27 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
So may I ask what program you use to manage your phone, presuming you have the same or similar phone?

Is there no google based program like apple's itunes?
You dont need to install anything to do everything with Android - no nasty malware-like proprietary rubbish.

However a gmail account is almost a necessity, it will allow the phone to sync your contacts and the like.

Airdroid is useful if you really want some management software, and its free.

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 09:35 PM   #6
Urbanfireblade

I have the S2, replaced my iPhone and i don't ever regret it either!
Mines up to date and running 2.3.4 Gingerbread, so not sure if you can run Icecream yet.
To buy, you need to sign in with your googlemail.com email(mine does this automatically, i think if you set up your email on the phone then it automatically uses it), click the £price(to buy) and then 'Add card' so the App etc can take the payment from your credit card automatically.
I think Kies is just syncing over the air, i used it when i first got my S2, but haven't since(4mths ago) so its probably not worth bothering with for whatever reason.

Only things not to my taste is the auto focus on the video recorder, if its poor light or far away it'll constantly keep trying to re-focus on the object whilst ur recording! Annoying!
Original virtual keypad awkward, use 'Smart keyboard trial' its free and apart from a pop up every so often asking if you'd like to buy it works brilliantly, Dexilog, LLC are the makers btw.

Amazing phone, upgrade battery capacity(search amazon for 'Anker 1900mAh battery), to get a genuine 30% increase in battery life!
Old 28-03-12, 09:39 PM   #7
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
You dont need to install anything to do everything with Android - no nasty malware-like proprietary rubbish.

However a gmail account is almost a necessity, it will allow the phone to sync your contacts and the like.

Airdroid is useful if you really want some management software, and its free.
This.
Old 28-03-12, 09:43 PM   #8
kellyjo

Oh im so jealous, I love my Galaxy S but have another 3 or 4 months before I can upgrade to an S2. Glad to hear its worth waiting for!
Old 28-03-12, 09:46 PM   #9
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Oh im so jealous, I love my Galaxy S but have another 3 or 4 months before I can upgrade to an S2. Glad to hear its worth waiting for!
Galaxy S3 should be out by then, then it will be us who are jealous
Old 28-03-12, 10:00 PM   #10
Stuuk1

Im going to get the S3 for sure!

Just had a little play with Airdroid, wow what a great idea! Still having issues with working out how to update... Its out on O2 right now but upgrading seems to be a bit of a mystery..