SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-12, 11:46 PM   #1
sputnik

Default Hamicad tail tidy fitting on pointy?

Just ordered a hamicad tail tidy/fender eliminator. The online instructions look reasonably clear but more involved than i had perhaps expected. Instructions are all well and good but is there anything i should look out for or advice to make fitting straightforward?

Also, I see it suggests shortening the tail light balast screws - do i just dremmel of the ends of the existing screws or should i be doing something more subtle?
Old 28-04-12, 11:58 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hamicad tail tidy fitting on pointy?

Tail light or number plate light screws? I've fitted a few Hamicads and I don't remember needing to attend to the tail light at all.
When you fit the number plate light you'll notice that the metal part it fits to is a thinner section than the plastic of the original part, as such the screws enter the light a dab further, I don't recall needing to shorten the screws but should it prove necessary you only need to remove a couple of mm, or perhaps fit some washers under the screw heads if that's easier.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-12, 08:06 PM   #3
sputnik

Thanks for the response. Yes, I meant the number plate light screws not the tail light - lazy late night typing by me! Hamicad reckon on shortening the screws by 5mm. If everything else is straightforward per the instructions then it should be ok.

I've seen a few posts mentioning water ingress into the tail - I don't want to start siliconing things if I don't need to but nor do I want a waterlogged tail. Any strong views either way?
Old 02-05-12, 09:05 AM   #4
Geordie Mick

I have one on my SK6, and didn't have to shorten any screws. It might have been tidier if I had, but I didn't need to (and therefore didn't bother).

It does let water in though. First ride out was in monsoon conditions, to be fair, but a notable amount of wet stuff found it's way into the rear unit. You'll probably see immediately when you fit it where the water will get in. The original undertray sits on top of (i.e. outside) the tail tidy and there are some small gaps at the sides. I tried some siliconing, but it's not 100% solved the problem. I keep looking at it to try and find a better answer, but haven't had the time to spend at it so far. Other posts on here, I think, described making some little infills for the gaps I mentioned but I can't find them from a quick search.

MICK..
Geordie Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 10:17 AM   #5
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

I fitted a Hamicad to my SK9. They provided little plastic spacers to ensure a snug fit as the original screws are a bit long. Never had any issues with water getting in the number plate light.
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote